Leverano

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Leverano DOC)
Jump to: navigation, search
Leverano
Comune
Comune di Leverano
Church and convent Santa Maria delle Grazie
Church and convent Santa Maria delle Grazie
Leverano is located in Italy
Leverano
Leverano
Location of Leverano in Italy
Coordinates: 40°17′N 18°5′E / 40.283°N 18.083°E / 40.283; 18.083Coordinates: 40°17′N 18°5′E / 40.283°N 18.083°E / 40.283; 18.083
Country Italy
Region Puglia
Province Lecce (LE)
Area
 • Total 48 km2 (19 sq mi)
Elevation 37 m (121 ft)
Population (2008)[1]
 • Total 14,177
 • Density 300/km2 (760/sq mi)
Demonym Leveranesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 73045
Dialing code 0832
Patron saint San Rocco
Saint day 16 August
Website Official website

Leverano is a town and comune in the Italian province of Lecce in the southeastern part of the Apulia region of south-east Italy. In 2001 its population was 13,981.

Bounding communes[edit]

Population History[edit]

Year Population
1861 2,443
1871 2,854
1881 3,311
1901 4,104
1911 4,634
1921 5,257
1931 6,392
1936 6,960
1951 8,944
1961 10,197
1971 11,062
1981 12,612
1991 13,526
2001 13,977

History[edit]

Leverano was severely destroyed by the Ostrogoth Totila, it was also destroyed by the Arabs in the 9th century. A tower was later built in 1220 and it protected against pirate raids. The tower is built with Norman architecture.

Leverano DOC[edit]

The area around Leverano produces both red, white and rose Italian DOC wine, though the region produces vastly more red wine than anything else. The grapes are limited to a harvest yield of 15 tonnes/ha. Red wines must have a finished alcohol level of at least 12% and are composed of at least 65% Negroamaro and up to 35% of the assorted blend of Malvasia, Sangiovese and Montepulciano. White wines must have a minimum alcohol level of at least 11% and be composed of at least 65% Malvasia bianca with Trebbiano and Bombino bianco allowed to make up the remaining 35%.[2]

Twinning[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Population from ISTAT
  2. ^ P. Saunders Wine Label Language pg 172 Firefly Books 2004 ISBN 1-55297-720-X

External links[edit]