|Headquarters||Melville, New York, USA|
|Key people||Donald Hendler (CEO & President)
Stephen B. Sokolow (Chairman)
Daryoush Larizadeh (COO)
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment,
Security & Automation
Leviton Manufacturing Company, Inc., is the largest privately held manufacturer of electrical wiring equipment in North America. It produces electrical products: light sockets, receptacles (switches & outlets), dimmers and other lighting control systems, wire, power cables, power cords, wall and ceiling occupancy sensors, wall plates, datacom, and other electrical products. Leviton is most famous for the Decora wall switch, the flat low profile form factor which replaced the standard toggle switch in many homes and office.
Leviton Manufacturing Company, Inc. is a manufacturer of electrical wiring devices, data center connectivity apparatus and lighting energy management systems. The company was founded in 1906 by Isidor Leviton. He began by manufacturing brass mantle tips for the natural gas lighting infrastructure in Manhattan. They sold their mantle tips on a pushcart on the Bowery on the Lower East side of Manhattan. Isidor Leviton designed a screw in lampholder for Thomas Edison's Electric Lamp in 1910 and within ten years the lampholders were being used in every apartment in New York.
In 1936 Leviton built a two square block 4 story factory and warehouse in Greenpoint, Brooklyn which still stands today.
In 1965, Harold Leviton was named President and CEO.
Leviton moved its corporate headquarters to Little Neck, NY, in 1975. Leviton then moved its corporate headquarters from Little Neck to Melville, New York, in June 2009.
Donald Hendler and Stephen Sokolow were named CEO and chairman of the board respectively in December 2007, following the passing of Harold Leviton.
In 2011 Leviton partnered with Ford Motors to produce their evr-green Electric Vehicle Chargers for Ford Electric Cars. Leviton has also partnered with Toyota to manufacture chargers for the Toyota plug-in Electric Vehicles
In 2012 Leviton launched its Universal Dimming device line which dims any dimmable LED, CFL, or incandescent bulb. This will result in dramatic energy savings. In addition, the company has released its Zipline Fluorescent Energy Retrofit Module which eliminates retrofit wiring of ballasts completely.
Today, Leviton has operations in over 85 countries, across 6 continents, and employs approximately 6,500 people globally. Leviton products include over 25,000 devices and systems, used in homes and businesses.
North American Locations
- Leviton Mfg. Company Inc., Melville, NY
- Leviton Mfg of Canada Ltd., Pointe-Claire, QC
- Leviton Network Solutions, Bothell, WA
- Leviton LES, Tualatin, OR
- Leviton Security & Automation, New Orleans, LA
2014: Leviton Receives Three EC&M "Product of the Year" Category Awards
2013: Leviton SmartlockPro® OBC AFCI Receptacle Recognized as “2013 Best New Home Product” by This Old House Magazine
2012: Home Channel News Golden Hammer Award
2012: Today’s Facility Manager magazine Readers’ Choice Award
2012: NECA Showstopper Award
In March 2007, Leviton was sued in U.S. district court by Lutron Electronics regarding various dimmers, switches and wireless lighting control systems. Lutron also filed a complaint with the International Trade Commission alleging that Leviton has produced several patent-infringing products in Mexico and China and then imported them into the United States. The lawsuit was settled with a cross license of certain of the parties' respective patents.
- Anonymous. Energy & Power Management. Troy: Jun 2005.Vol.30, Iss. 6; pg. 29, 7 pgs.Source type: Periodical ISSN: 15565467 ProQuest document ID: 855628221 Text Word Count 2946 Document URL: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=855628221&sid=2&Fmt=2&clientId=76566&RQT=309&VName=PQD(subscription) Retrieved April 9, 2007)
- Decora > Leviton Web Site
- Leviton History > Leviton Web Site. Retrieved February 25, 2010
- Gary Dymski (June 10, 2009). "Leviton moving to energy-efficient HQ in Melville". Newsday.
- "Leviton reorganizes after passing of CEO". December 1, 2007.
- "Leviton and Ford Receive UL Certification for Focus Electric Home Charging Station". Oct 10, 2011. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Toyota selects Leviton to charge up Prius Plug-in, RAV4 EV". AutoblogGreen. Aug 11, 2011.
- Universal Dimmers > Leviton Web Site
- Zipline Lighting Retrofit > Leviton Web Site
- Julie Jacobson (August 1, 2012). "Leviton Acquires Home Automation Inc.".
- Steve Crowe (October 29, 2013). "Leviton Acquires UK-based JCC Advanced Lighting".
- "Leviton Receives Three EC&M "Product of the Year" Category Awards". PR Newswire. April 4, 2014.
- "Leviton Outlet Branch Circuit AFCI Receptacle Recognized as a "2013 Best New Home Product" by This Old House Magazine". The Business Journals. Nov 8, 2013.
- Ken Clark (May 2, 2012). "The Golden Hammer strikes again". Home Channel News.
- "Leviton Lighting Controls Wins Second Straight TFM Readers' Choice Award". PR Newswire. Feb 21, 2012.
- "Leviton Zipline™ Product Awarded NECA Showstopper Award". PR Newswire. Nov 6, 2012.
- Julie Jacobsen (March 4, 2007). "Lutron Sues Leviton Over RF Lighting Controls". cepro.com. Retrieved 2012-07-22.
- "Lutron Electronics Co., Inc. v. Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc". justia.com.
- Joe Paone (March 2007). "Lutron Accuses Leviton of Patent Infringement". Custom Retailer.
- Jeremy J. Glowacki (Nov 16, 2007). "Leviton to Pay Lutron in Settlement". Residential Systems.