Lewis Brown (rugby league)
3 October 1986 |
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||96 kg (15 st 2 lb)|
|Position||Lock, Second-row, Centre, Hooker|
|2010||New Zealand Māori||1||0||0||0||0|
Lewis Brown (born 3 October 1986 in Christchurch, New Zealand) is a professional rugby league footballer who currently plays in the National Rugby League for the Penrith Panthers. He previously played for the New Zealand Warriors. His position of preference is in the second row whilst occasionally playing in the centres. Brown started his career as a hooker. On the 28 March 2012, Brown signed a 3-year contract with the Penrith Panthers, commencing in the 2013 NRL season.
Brown started his rugby league career playing for the Riccarton Knights in Christchurch and attending Papanui High School. He played junior representative football for Canterbury and was a New Zealand under-16 representative. He debuted for the Canterbury Bulls in the 2005 Bartercard Cup.
He later moved to join Balmain-Ryde and the Wests Tigers, playing for their New South Wales Cup side. While he was a feature in the Premier League side he could not break into the first grade side due to the presence of Robbie Farah and John Morris.
In 2008 the Warriors announced that they had secured Brown for the 2009 season on a one-year deal, with an option for another year. He joined the Warriors in October 2008 but arrived with a major foot injury, which hampered his pre-season. He made his National Rugby League debut for the Warriors on 3 May 2009, playing against the St George Illawarra Dragons. In 2010 he signed an extended contract that will keep him at the Warriors until 2012.
Lewis Brown made his international debut for the New Zealand Kiwis in the 2011 ANZAC Test against Australia. He was originally named on an extended bench, and made his debut after when Greg Eastwood withdrawn through injury. He also set up Kiwis' debutant winger Matt Duffie for a try in the 36th minute of the game.
- Alderson, Andrew (15 May 2011). "NRL: Part time to ever present". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Brown, Michael (10 August 2008). "League: Warriors sign rookie hooker as Fien eyes move to England". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Bartercard Cup debuts The Press, 13 April 2005
- "New Warrior leaps to aid of snatch-and-run victim". The Sunday Star-Times. 24 January 2009. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- 2007 Premier League Season West Tigers Official Site
- Brown Extends Stay With Vodafone Warriors To 2012 Voxy.co.nz, 10 April 2010
- AP (5 October 2010). "New faces join Kiwis Four Nations squad". Wide World of Sports. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "League: Maori draw with England". The New Zealand Herald. 16 October 2010. Retrieved 14 October 2011.