Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Lewis Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Brown County
|• Total||43.2 sq mi (111.9 km2)|
|• Land||42.6 sq mi (110.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|Elevation||860 ft (262 m)|
|• Density||63/sq mi (24.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085800|
Lewis Township is one of the sixteen townships of Brown County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,697 people in the township, 2,446 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Clark Township - north
- Pleasant Township - east
- Franklin Township, Clermont County - west
- Tate Township, Clermont County - northwest
Bracken County, Kentucky lies across the Ohio River to the south.
Name and history
It is the only Lewis Township statewide.
Lewis Township was organized in 1807.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lewis township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Brown County, Ohio. Higginson Book Company. 1883. p. 455.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.