Lewisham Shopping Centre
Lewisham Shopping Centre
|Opening date||1975 - 1977|
|Management||Land Securities Properties Limited|
|Owner||Land Securities Properties Limited|
|No. of stores and services||70|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||330,000 sq|
|No. of floors||1 (2-3 within some stores)|
Lewisham Shopping Centre, formerly Riverdale Centre, is a shopping mall located in Lewisham, London, England. The mall has seen a 7% rise in footfall since the Docklands Light Railway extension came to Lewisham. The centre is the major shopping centre in the borough of Lewisham. Also part of the complex is the Lewisham House office tower, formerly occupied by Citibank. There are proposals to convert this building to flats.
The centre is located in Lewisham town centre. The official address is on Molesworth Street (a dual carriageway section of the A21), but most shoppers enter and leave on the High Street, which houses many more shops such as Peacocks, McDonald's, Currys Digital, Gamestation and Iceland. The car park is located on top of the centre and is multi-storey.
The shopping centre has the usual facilities such as baby changing. One of the highlights of Lewisham was the indoor children's play area, which was always busy. However, in 2006 it was filled in and left empty, and it is not known why the centre management did this.
After many years of Decline in new tenants taking up empty retail space, there has been a big increase of new tenants joining the Lewisham Shopping centre, with some tenants moving to other stores within the centre for bigger retail space. New additions include, H&M, Subway, Tiger, Costa Coffee, and a Larger JD Sports.
There are many shops in the centre, the larger and more notable stores include:
- Marks & Spencer - originally a two-floor store, converted to one floor in early 2000s; upper level reopened as M&S Outlet in Jan 2009 
- TK Maxx - 3-floor store, opened 2006; previously occupied by Littlewoods and Index
- BHS (British Home Stores)
- Next - two-floor store. Small unit, but it used to be in a tiny store now located by Fusion
- New Look
- Burton & Dorothy Perkins (as concessions within BHS since 2009; previously standalone dual-brand store)
- Shoe Zone
- 3 Store
- Poundland - opened full store after success of temporary store
- H&M - opened in former Woolworths store in 2009
- Docklands Light Railway - At Lewisham station, which is just a couple of minutes away. The DLR has services to Greenwich, Isle of Dogs (for Canary Wharf and the Docklands area), Stratford and the City.
- Southeastern - Train services to destinations including Central London, Dartford, and Kent.
- There are bus stops on both sides of the centre and Lewisham Bus station outside the train station, for services to Croydon, Bromley, Bexleyheath, and Woolwich.