Lewisham West and Penge (UK Parliament constituency)
|Lewisham West and Penge|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Lewisham West and Penge in Greater London.
|Electorate||69,399 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Jim Dowd (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Lewisham West
|European Parliament constituency||London|
Following the adoption of this part of the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies this new constituency was born with electoral wards from the London Boroughs of Bromley and Lewisham — the greater electorate and area is in the latter. It was contested for the first time in the 2010 general election.
The new seat comprises the South-Western portion of Lewisham borough with the northwestern tip of Bromley borough. A strong Liberal Democrat challenge in 2010 edged the Conservative candidate narrowly into third.
At the heart of the seat is Forest Hill, bisected by the route of the South Circular Road. Its ambit also includes some of the Crystal Palace hill (the park and site of the palace itself is on the intersection of five boroughs) and the nearby areas of Penge and Sydenham. The Guardian however positively summarised it in 2010 as "suburban south-east London, with a large Afro-Caribbean population."
The seat has electoral wards:
- Bellingham; Forest Hill; Perry Vale; Sydenham in the London Borough of Lewisham
- Clock House; Crystal Palace; Penge and Cator in the London Borough of Bromley
To create the new constituency the Boundary Commission for England transferred Perry Vale ward, Bellingham ward, Forest Hill ward, and Sydenham ward from the former Lewisham West constituency. Clock House ward, Crystal Palace ward, and Penge and Cator ward were transferred from Beckenham constituency.
Members of Parliament
|General Election 2010: Lewisham West and Penge|
|Labour||Jim Dowd[n 2]||18,501||41.1||−5.2[n 3]|
|Liberal Democrat||Alex Feakes||12,673||28.1||+1.0|
|Christian Peoples||Stephen Hammond||317||0.7||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- General Election Results from the Electoral Commission
- Profile of SE19
see also: SE postcode area
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- BBC - Election 2010 - Lewisham West & Penge