||It has been suggested that Lexcycle be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2011.|
|Stable release||3.2 / November 10, 2011|
|Operating system||iOS, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Website||Official website (30.06.2012 down)|
Lexcycle Stanza is a freeware program for reading eBooks, digital newspapers, and other digital publications. The software supports the eBook formats EPUB, eReader, MS LIT, Amazon Kindle, Mobipocket, and PalmDoc, as well as general document formats HTML, PDF, MS Word, and Rich Text Format. The company Lexcycle is owned by Amazon.com (manufacturer/creator of the Amazon Kindle).
Stanza comes in several versions: Stanza iPhone/iPod/iPad, Stanza Desktop for Windows and Stanza Desktop for Mac.
Stanza iPhone/iPod allows users to manage a library of books on their Apple iPhone or iPod Touch and provides a customizable reading interface. It features an online catalog containing thousands of free classics, as well as the ability to synchronize with Stanza Desktop via Bonjour. Stanza iPhone has been one of the most popular book readers for the iPhone, listed as Apple's favorite free app in their App Store Turns 1 list of favorite apps.
Stanza Desktop features a variety of text layout views, such as multicolumn, vertical scrolling, and horizontal scrolling. Significantly, Stanza also supports exporting to a wide array of formats for use on mobile devices using 3rd party readers such as Mobipocket or the Amazon Kindle.
No Adobe DRM support 
In February 2009, a few months before being bought by Amazon.com, Lexcycle announced that Stanza would be able to read ePub and PDF files protected by Adobe DRM during the following quarter. However, with no news about this support as of September 2009, the comments in the Lexcycle support forum became increasingly demanding. On September 18, Neelan Choksi, Lexcyle COO, stated that, "At this point in time, we are not supporting the Adobe DRM solution. This decision will be evaluated on a regular basis as we move forward.". It is now unlikely that Stanza will ever support Adobe DRM.
Uncertain future 
As of January 2011, there has been no activity from Lexcycle in their website nor support forums for over five months, though many standing issues remain with the latest major version of Stanza, from complete libraries made unusable on updating to it, to problems already fixed in the internal version of the program.
On 10 November 2011, Stanza for iOS was updated to version 3.2, fixing iOS 5 incompatibility problems. While the previous version of Stanza was incompatible with iOS 5, Stanza 3.2 is incompatible with earlier versions of iOS. According to an email received by a member of the Facebook "Revive Stanza" group, Amazon will no longer be updating or supporting Stanza after version 3.2.
- Greenberg, Andy (2008-10-02). "IPhone Steals Lead Over Kindle". Forbes. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- "2008 Best Free or Ad Supported App". 148Apps. 2009-01-07. Retrieved 2009-01-07.
- App Store Turns 1
- "Lexcycle Press Announcement regarding Adobe DRM". 11 February 2009. Archived from the original on 21 September 2009. Retrieved 21 September 2009.
- "Neelan Choksi regarding Adobe DRM support". 19 September 2009. Archived from the original on 21 September 2009. Retrieved 21 September 2009. "At this point in time, we are not supporting the Adobe DRM solution. This decision will be evaluated on a regular basis as we move forward."
- "Stanza Support account at Get Satisfaction". Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Getting 'Unreadable Book Format' on most books since upgrade". Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Stanza forgets what I was reading". Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "App Store – Stanza". Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Stanza in iOS5... dead... (page 20)". Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Stanza in iOS5... dead... (page 18)". Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Lexcycle Stanza's official website
- Stanza on iTunes
- Lexcycle Stanza - Frequently Asked Questions
- Stanza - Time Magazine's Top 11 iPhone Applications
- Wired Magazine - Free Software Turns the iPhone Into an E-Book Reader