Lexington Steele in 2000
|Born||Clifton Todd Britt, Jr.
November 28, 1969
New Jersey, U.S.
|Other names||Lex Steele, Hudson|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
Clifton Britt (born November 28, 1969), better known as Lexington Steele, is an American award-winning pornographic actor, director and owner of Mercenary Motion Pictures and Black Viking Pictures Inc. He is the first actor to have won the AVN Male Performer of the Year Award three times.
Steele was born in New Jersey. After attending Morristown High School, he attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia for two years but graduated from Syracuse University's College of Arts and Sciences with a double degree in History and African-American studies in 1993.
After graduation, he worked in New York City as a stockbroker in the World Trade Center starting as a trainee in Euro Brokers Inc and working his way up the chain of command. He was licensed as a financial adviser and working on Wall Street within months of graduating. He has stated that he would have been in the buildings and been a victim of the September 11, 2001 attacks had he kept his old job as a stockbroker.
He started appearing in adult movies in April 1996, in New York City. He moved to Los Angeles and joined the industry full-time in March 1998. Initially he shot mainly for the companies such as West Coast Productions and director Spunky. Later, he appeared on videotapes produced by Anabolic and Diabolic. Later on at the beginning of 2004 he joined Red Light District Video for a brief period.
Steele has said that his stage name came about back during the days when he worked as a stockbroker when he took the subway to visit a client. At that time he had already decided to move in the adult film industry and use the last name "Steele". His client was located in mid-town and Steele got off the subway at the corner of Madison and Lexington [sic] where he was struck by the sound of "Lexington" as a first name.
Steele now directs and performs exclusively for his own production company, Mercenary Motion Pictures (Headquarters in Encino, California), which he founded in 2003 and serves as chairman and CEO since 2005. The company reported annual net profits of $2.6 million in 2005. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $10 to 20 million and employs a staff of approximately 10 to 19. Steele appeared in two episodes of Showtime's Weeds in 2007 (3x07 "He taught me how to drive by" and 3x08 "The two Mrs. Scottsons"), playing himself at a movie shoot filming a scene with Kirsten Price and Jessica Jaymes. He also appeared in an episode of the FX series Nip/Tuck (5x05 "Chaz Darling") as a male escort at a party.
Steele was engaged to porn actress and director Vanessa Blue, and the two have appeared together on Playboy TV (in his two-season show Lex in the City) and in several movies. They ended their relationship in June 2006. In 2008, Steele and Blue filed federal lawsuits against each other over the ownership of numerous videos that first appeared under the Mercenary Pictures label. The suits were settled in March 2009 after meeting with an alternative dispute resolution jurist.
During his time studying African-American studies, Steele developed an awareness of American politics and African-American rights. In 2008 he expressed his support for Barack Obama's presidential campaign.
Awards and nominations
Steele won AVN Male Performer of the Year Awards in 2000, 2002 and 2003, the first actor to win three times. In 2000, Steele was awarded the AVN Award for Best Anal Scene with Anastasia Blue and In 2005 he won the X-Rated Critics Organization (XRCO) Award for Best Couple Sex Scene for a scene he did together with his co-star Katsuni in "Lex Steele XXX 3".
- 2000 AVN Award for Male Performer of the Year
- 2000 AVN Award for Best Anal Sex Scene (Video) (with Anastasia Blue)
- 2001 AVN Award for Best Couples Sex Scene (with Inari Vachs)
- 2001 XRCO Award for Male Performer of the Year
- 2002 AVN Award for Male Performer of the Year
- 2003 AVN Award for Male Performer of the Year
- 2003 AVN Award for Best Anal Sex Scene (with Jewel De'Nyle)
- 2005 XRCO Award for Best Male-Female Scene (With Katsumi)
- 2005 AVN Award for Best Gonzo Release
- 2006 AVN Award for Best Interracial Release
- 2009 AVN Hall of Fame inductee
- 2009 XRCO Hall of Fame inductee
- 2009 Hot d'Or for Best American Male Performer
- 2011 AVN Award for Best Interracial Scene (for Lex the Impaler 5)
- 2011 AVN Award for Best Interracial Series (for Lex the Impaler 5)
- 2013 XBIZ Award Nomination – 'Male Performer of the Year'
- Rog (July 2001). "Lexington Steele Interview". rogreviews.com. Retrieved 2007-04-20.
- Joshua Alston (2005-11-10). "A coming-of-age tale of one SU graduate's journey from stock quotes to deep throats". The Daily Orange. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Inside the Adult Film Industry: A Lexington Steele interview, The Advocate, CUNY Graduate Center, April 2004[dead link]
- Steve Javors, "Lexington Steele Gets Evil IN", AVN, Vol30/No. 4, Issue 364, April 2013, pp.52–54.
- It should be pointed out, however, that Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue do in fact not intersect, but run parallel their entire courses with Park Avenue between them.
- Joanne Cachapero (2007-06-12). "Lexington Steele". Eros-NY. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-19.
- Interview at AUC Magazine, March 2006
- Onscreen credits and "IMDB"
- "IMDB credits page"
- Gram Ponante (2006-06-20). "Vanessa Blue splits with Lex, Mercenary". gramponante.com. Archived from the original on 2006-11-26. Retrieved 2007-04-20.
- Rhett Pardon (2009-03-13). "Lexington Steele, Vanessa Blue Settle Suits Against Each Other". xbiz.com. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- "Calli Cox had Lexington Steele's Baby". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Nominations 2009 AVN Adult Movie Awards" (PDF). AVNAwards.com. 2008-11-25. Retrieved 2008-11-26.[dead link]
- "2009 XRCO Award Winners Announced". AVN. 2009-02-26.
- Paul Fishbein (2009-10-21). "Pirates II, Evil Angel Big Winners at 2009 Hot d’Or Awards". AVN. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- XBIZ Nominees 2013, XBIZ, January, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lexington Steele.|