|Parent company||Martindale, LLC|
|Founder||James B. Martindale|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New Providence, New Jersey|
Martindale-Hubbell is an information services company to the legal profession that was founded in 1868. The company publishes the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which provides background information on United States lawyers and law firms. Martindale-Hubbell is owned by Reed Elsevier.
The Martindale Directory was first published in 1868 by James B. Martindale, a lawyer and businessman. Its purpose was "to furnish to lawyers, bankers, wholesale merchants, manufacturers, real estate agents, and all others…the address of one reliable law firm, one reliable bank, and one reliable real estate office in every city in the United States..." By 1896, the directory included basic information that still appears in the modern "Practice Profile" listings, as well as ratings and a section on foreign lawyers and firms.
In 1930, the Martindale Company purchased the publishing rights to Hubbell's Legal Directory which consisted of: a digest of the collected laws of each state; court calendars; and a selective list of lawyers and firms.
Through the combination of the Martindale Directory and Hubbell's Legal Directory, the first edition of the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory was produced in 1931 as a two-volume set. Volume I consisted of the lawyer listings and volume II contained the "Law Digest".
In October 2013, Reed Elsevier entered into a joint venture with Internet Brands, LLC.
Products and services
- Martindale-Hubbell Ratings provides reviews of lawyers and law firms for consumers and professionals. Martindale.com contains the profiles of over one million lawyers and firms globally.
- Lawyers.com and martindale.com began offering free, online legal assistance to the public in June 1998, and has more than one million lawyers and law firms nationwide in its database. The site contains the most comprehensive database of lawyers in the country and allows users to search for lawyers using factors like geography, specialty, language and law school. Lawyers in the database are assigned an ISLN (International Standard Lawyer Number).
- The Law Blog includes posts from lawyers on issues, trends and news in the legal profession such as immigration, personal injury, estate planning, etc. In November 2011 the Lawyers.com blog launched a New Jury Roundup weekly news feature entitled, "Editor's Choice: Jury Awards Edition." The news feature reports on some of the largest jury awards won by individuals in recent personal injury cases.
- Artley, Meredith (2004-10-23). "Finding legal information online". The New York Times (Nytimes.com). Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "The Media Business; Martindale Sold to British Publisher". The New York Times. 1989-11-23.
- "About Martindale-Hubbell". Martindale.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Press Release: LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell and Internet Brands Announce Joint Venture". ReedElsevier.com. 2013-08-30. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- Shoptaw, Taylor. "Digest > Adams and Reese Named a Top Law Firm by Fortune". Memphis Daily News.
Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings are based on the confidential opinions of lawyers and members of the judiciary who provide reviews of lawyers about whom they have professional knowledge.
- Nusbaum, Marci Alboher (2000-05-11). "Untangling the Legal Maze by Surfing the Web". New York Times (Nytimes.com). Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Lee, Jennifer 8. (2001-02-22). "Legal Aid Online; Web's Law Library: A Partial Catalog". New York Times (Nytimes.com). Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Sarji, Hani (2012-04-18). "Declining Health Is Scary: Estate And Financial Planning Can Protect You". Forbes. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "New Jury Verdict Roundup Launched on Lawyers.com Blog". MarketWatch.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Company website - www.martindale.com