LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell is an information services company to the legal profession that was founded in 1868. The company publishes the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which provides background information on United States lawyers and law firms. Martindale-Hubbell is owned by LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier.
Martindale-Hubbell volumes on the shelf at a law library
The Martindale Directory was first published in 1868 by James B. Martindale, a lawyer and businessman. Its purpose was "to furnish to lawyers, bankers, wholesale merchants, manufacturers, real estate agents, and all others…the address of one reliable law firm, one reliable bank, and one reliable real estate office in every city in the United States..." By 1896, the directory included basic information that still appears in the modern "Practice Profile" listings, as well as ratings and a section on foreign lawyers and firms.
In 1930, the Martindale Company purchased the publishing rights to Hubbell's Legal Directory which consisted of: a digest of the collected laws of each state; court calendars; and a selective list of lawyers and firms.
Through the combination of the Martindale Directory and Hubbell's Legal Directory, the first edition of the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory was produced in 1931 as a two-volume set. Volume I consisted of the lawyer listings and volume II contained the "Law Digest".
In 1990, Martindale-Hubbell was purchased by Reed International P.L.C.
Products and services
- Martindale-Hubbell Ratings provides reviews of lawyers and law firms for consumers and professionals. Martindale.com contains the profiles of over one million lawyers and firms globally.
- Lawyers.com began offering free, online legal assistance to the public in June 1998, and has more than one million attorneys and law firms nationwide in its database. The site contains the most comprehensive database of lawyers in the country and allows users to search for lawyers using factors like geography, specialty, language and law school. Lawyers in the database are assigned an ISLN (International Standard Lawyer Number).
- The Law Blog includes posts from attorneys on issues, trends and news in the legal profession such as immigration, personal injury, estate planning, etc. In November 2011 the Lawyers.com blog launched a New Jury Roundup weekly news feature entitled, "Editor's Choice: Jury Awards Edition." The news feature reports on some of the largest jury awards won by individuals in recent personal injury cases. Larry Bodine was named Editor-in-Chief of Lawyers.com and Martindale.com in September 2011.
- LawyerLocator.com is an online legal referral directory for consumers to locate lawyers who specialize in several areas of law. It provides legal reference information for several specialized areas of law, such as Bankruptcy, Divorce, Estate Planning and Personal Injury.
- EZLaw is an online service that provides templates to create a last will and testament, living will and power of attorney form.