Lika-Senj County (light orange)
within Croatia (light yellow)
|• Župan||Milan Kolić (HDZ)|
|• Total||5,353 km2 (2,067 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.5/km2 (25/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||HR-09|
Lika-Senj County (Croatian: Ličko-senjska županija) is a county in Croatia that includes most of the Lika region and some northern coastline of the Adriatic near the town of Senj, including the northern part of the Pag island. Its center is Gospić.
The county is the least populated and among the least prosperous ones, but on the other hand it is the largest county in the country by area and also includes the Plitvice Lakes National Park and Sjeverni (North) Velebit National Park, country's major tourist attractions.
The county has a total area of 5353 km2.
Since the beginning of 20th century this county has been losing its population. As of the census of 2001, there were 53,677 people and 19,900 households residing in the county. The population density is 7/km².
In the county the population is spread out with 20.8% under the age of 19, 48.3% from 19 to 60, and 30.9% over 60.
Lika-Senj County is divided:
- Town of Gospić
- Town of Novalja
- Town of Otočac
- Town of Senj
- Municipality of Brinje
- Municipality of Donji Lapac
- Municipality of Karlobag
- Municipality of Lovinac
- Municipality of Perušić
- Municipality of Plitvička Jezera (Plitvice Lakes)
- Municipality of Stara Novalja
- Municipality of Udbina
- Municipality of Vrhovine
- Župan (prefect): Milan Kolić (HDZ)
The county assembly is composed of 45 representatives, presided by Petar Krmpotić (HDZ) and composed as follows:
- Croatian Party of Rights (HSP) 3
- HDZ-DC: 26
- HSS-SDP-HNS: 10
- Independent Democratic Serb Party (SDSS) 3
- Serb People's Party (SNS) 3
Based on election results in 2005.
- Ostroški, Ljiljana, ed. (December 2013). "Statistički ljetopis Republike Hrvatske 2013" [2013 Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia] (PDF). Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia (in Croatian and English) (Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics) 45: 56. ISSN 1334-0638. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: County of Lika-Senj". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "SAS Output". Dzs.hr. Retrieved 2011-12-12.