Hemsworth at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International
13 January 1990 |
|Relatives||Chris Hemsworth (brother)
Luke Hemsworth (brother)
Elsa Pataky (sister-in-law)
Liam Hemsworth (born 13 January 1990) is an Australian actor. He played the role of Josh Taylor in the soap opera Neighbours and as Marcus on the children's television series The Elephant Princess. In 2010, he starred in the American film The Last Song and in 2012, he starred as Gale Hawthorne in The Hunger Games film series, based on an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' best-selling novel series. Hemsworth's older brothers, Luke and Chris, are also actors.
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, Australia. He is the youngest of three boys for Leonie, a teacher of English, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counsellor. His two older brothers are Chris and Luke Hemsworth, who also work as actors. Hemsworth has said that though there is competition for jobs among them, it is friendly: "We are brothers and we are always competitive, but it is a good thing, it pushes us and we are always happy whenever someone books something."
When Hemsworth was in year 8, he and his family relocated to Phillip Island, a small island. Hemsworth says he spent much of his time there surfing with his brothers. In March 2009, Hemsworth moved to the United States to pursue his career there. He and his brother Chris first stayed in the guest house of Chris's manager, William Ward, before renting their own Los Angeles apartment.
2007–10: Career beginnings
Prior to becoming an actor, Hemsworth laid floors for six months. He began to seriously consider following his elder brothers' footsteps in high school by participating in school plays. Eventually, Hemsworth retained an agent. He attended his first audition at the age of sixteen and began his career in 2007 with guest appearances on the shows Home and Away and McLeod's Daughters. The week of 8 July 2007, Hemsworth began filming episodes for Neighbours, an Australian soap opera his brother Luke had previously starred in. Hemsworth's character, Josh Taylor, was a recurring character from 2007 to 2008. In the show, Josh was an athletic paraplegic who supported and began a relationship with character Bridget Parker after she was paralysed down one side of her body in a car crash. In 2008, Hemsworth began acting on the children's television show The Elephant Princess, playing "Marcus", the lead guitarist of the protagonist's band. Hemsworth later had roles in the television series Satisfaction and starred in the British film Triangle. He also made a brief appearance as an MIT student in the film Knowing.
In 2009, Hemsworth was selected to act opposite Sylvester Stallone in Stallone's 2010 film, The Expendables, but his character was written out of the script (Hemsworth later co-starred in The Expendables 2). Hemsworth's brother, Chris, told Movieline that just a few hours after Hemsworth learned he would not appear in The Expendables, director Kenneth Branagh called to ask him to test for the lead role in the 2011 film Thor. Hemsworth moved to the States in March 2009 for screen tests. Though he eventually lost the part to Chris in May, Disney announced later the same week that Hemsworth had landed the part of Will Blakelee in the 2010 drama The Last Song, based on the Nicholas Sparks novel by the same name. Hemsworth plays the love interest of Miley Cyrus's character in the film. Nikki Finke reported that Hemsworth had been in Los Angeles for just three weeks and had not yet found an agent when he was cast. Hemsworth next appeared in the music video for Cyrus' "When I Look at You" which was recorded on 16 August 2009.
In September 2009, Hemsworth appeared at a dinner event to promote Foxtel, an Australian pay television company. In March 2010, Details magazine selected Hemsworth as one of their predictions for "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Later that month, it was announced that Hemsworth was in negotiations to star in Arabian Nights, a 3D action film that will be directed by Chuck Russell for Inferno Entertainment. It was later confirmed that he will be starring in the movie. He has also reportedly been offered the lead role in Northern Lights after Taylor Lautner withdrew from the David Ellison-financed project.
On 4 April 2011, Lionsgate announced Hemsworth to be one of the leads, Gale Hawthorne, in The Hunger Games, which was released in 2012. In June 2011, he became attached to war drama Love and Honor which also stars Aimee Teegarden and Teresa Palmer.
He reprised his role, Gale Hawthorne, in the sequel to The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which was released in November 2013.
On 11 June 2012, Los Angeles-based non-profit organization Australians in Film announced that Hemsworth would be honoured at an exclusive benefit dinner on 27 June 2012 in Hollywood. Hemsworth attended the invitation only event, held at the Intercontinental Hotel in Century City, with his then fiancée Miley Cyrus. It was their first public appearance together as an engaged couple.
While filming The Last Song in June 2009, Hemsworth began a relationship with his co-star Miley Cyrus. After three years of having an on-again, off-again relationship, the couple announced their engagement in June 2012. They lived together in Los Angeles but ended their relationship in September 2013. In July of 2014 Hemsworth noted that he and Cyrus would "always be best friends" and they had "an instantaneous and powerful connection."
Hemsworth is the ambassador of the Australian Childhood Foundation. Hemsworth talked about his association with the foundation, "I have the best parents you can have. They have worked in child protection for twenty years and have only ever given me encouragement and support. The world is a scary enough place as it is for children. It is important that home should always be a safe place for them." When asked if he believed he was a hero to children, Liam said he did not know, but that he would like to be a good role model.
|2007||Home and Away||TV series (1 episode)|
|2007||McLeod's Daughters||Damo||TV series (1 episode: Leaving the Nest)|
|2007||Neighbours||Josh Taylor||TV series (25 episodes)|
|2008||The Elephant Princess||Marcus||TV series (26 episodes)|
|2009||Satisfaction||Marc||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2010||The Last Song||Will Blakelee|
|2012||The Hunger Games||Gale Hawthorne|
|2012||The Expendables 2||Billy "The Kid" Timmons|
|2013||Love and Honor||Mickey Wright|
|2013||Empire State||Chris Potamitis|
|2013||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Gale Hawthorne|
|2014||Cut Bank||Dwayne McLaren|
|2014||Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, TheThe Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1||Gale Hawthorne|
|2015||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2||Gale Hawthorne||Post-production|
|2015||By Way of Helena||David Kingston||Post-production|
|2015||The Dressmaker||Ted McSwiney||Post-production|
Awards and nominations
|2010||The Last Song||Young Hollywood Breakthrough of the Year||Won|
|2010||The Last Song||Nickelodeon Australian Kids' Choice Awards Favorite Kiss||Won|
|2010||The Last Song||Teen Choice Awards Male Breakout||Won|
|2010||The Last Song||Teen Choice Awards Best Liplock with Miley Cyrus||Nominated|
|2010||The Last Song||Teen Choice Awards Best Movie Drama||Nominated|
|2010||The Last Song||Teen Choice Awards Best Movie Chemistry||Nominated|
|2012||The Hunger Games||Teen Choice Scene Stealer: Male||Nominated|
|2012||The Hunger Games||People's Choice Awards Chemistry (shared with Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson)||Won|
|2012||The Hunger Games||MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|2012||The Hunger Games||MTV Movie Award for Best Cast||Nominated|
|2012||The Hunger Games||Teen Choice Award for Choice Hottie-Male||Nominated|
|2014||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Teen Choice Award Actor Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Nominated|
- "Liam Hemsworth Biography: Actor (1990–)". Biography.com / Fyi (A&E Networks). Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island'". Herald Sun. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (28 November 2011). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him: Cover Stars". Details. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- From Ira Madison (4 May 2009). "The Verge: Chris Hemsworth". Movieline. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "Brothers LA's hot new family". Herald Sun. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Miley Cyrus Stole My Boyfriend". Woman's Day. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Talbot, Lindsay (18 November 2009). "Exclusive Q&A and Clip with The Last Song's Liam Hemsworth". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Smith, Krista (January 2010). "The Brothers Hemsworth". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Finke, Nikki (16 June 2009). "Exclusive: Chris Hemsworth is 'Thor'". Deadline Hollywood Daily. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
- A kiss wasn't just a kiss: Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus' on-set romance
- "Liam Hemsworth". Mark Morrisey & Associates. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Hemsworth bros face off". Herald Sun. 13 July 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "Declan Napier". Neighbours.com.au. Neighbours. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "The Elephant Princess". Jonathan-m-shiff.com.au. The Elephant Princess. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Walters, David (March 2010). "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Details. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Conn, Leslie (19 May 2009). "Casting for Miley Cyrus movie under way". Savannah Morning News. Retrieved 18 July 2009.
- "Savannah, 'The Last Song' featured in Miley Cyrus music video". Savannah Morning News. 12 September 2009. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- Shankman, Adam (16 August 2009). "Twitter / Adam Shankman: Just wrapped "When I Look...". Twitter. Retrieved 17 August 2009.
- "Miley Cyrus Aussie lover Liam Hemsworth mum on romance at Foxtel event". The Daily Telegraph. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Comic Book & Sci-Fi Movie News – Heat Vision – The Hollywood Reporter". Heatvisionblog.com. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (19 April 2010). "Exclusive: Hemsworth to Star in College Hoops Movie". TheWrap.com. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- "Two-Time GRAMMY Winners Zac Brown Band Premiere "Colder Weather" Video Tomorrow at 11am ET on ZacBrownBand.com". Higherrockmusic.com. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Hunger Games Casting News: Lionsgate Confirms That The Roles Of Peeta & Gale Have Been Officially Cast! – Hunger Games". Hungergamesmovie.org. 4 April 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Trumbore, Dave (25 June 2011). "Liam Hemsworth Goes AWOL; Teresa Palmer, Austin Stowell, and Aimee Teegarden Also in Talks to Join". Collider. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- (11 June 2012), Announcing 2012 Australians in Film Breakthrough Award Recipients, New International Awards & Heath Ledger Scholarship Winner "Digital Journal", Los Angeles
- (28 June 2012), Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Make First Public Appearance Since Engagement. "Parade Publications Inc", Los Angeles
- "Miley Cyrus Discusses Her Chemistry With Liam Hemsworth On 'Ellen'". MTV. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- "Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth Are Engaged". People. 6 June 2012.
- Webber, Stephanie (14 September 2013). "Miley Cyrus Stops Following Fiance Liam Hemsworth on Twitter". Us Weekly. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth End Engagement". People. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Liam on Miley: "We’ll always be best friends"". New York Post. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Liam Hemsworth calls on Australians to support children by donating to Childhood Hero Appeal". Retrieved 23 March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liam Hemsworth.|