Hemsworth at The Hunger Games world premiere 2012
13 January 1990 |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Partner(s)||Miley Cyrus (2009–present)|
|Relatives||Chris Hemsworth (brother)
Luke Hemsworth (brother)
Liam Hemsworth (born 13 January 1990) is an Australian actor. He took the role of Josh Taylor in the soap opera Neighbours and as Marcus on the children's television series The Elephant Princess. In 2010, he starred in the American film The Last Song and in 2012, he starred as Gale Hawthorne in The Hunger Games. Hemsworth's elder brothers, Luke and Chris, are also actors.
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, Australia. He is the son of Leonie, a teacher of English, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counselor. He has two older brothers, Chris and Luke Hemsworth, who also work as actors. Hemsworth has said that though there is competition for jobs among them, it is friendly: "We are brothers and we are always competitive, but it is a good thing, it pushes us and we are always happy whenever someone books something."
When Hemsworth was in year 8, he and his family relocated to Phillip Island, a small island. Hemsworth says he spent much of his time there surfing with his brothers. In March 2009, Hemsworth moved to the United States to pursue his career there. He and his brother Chris first stayed in the guest house of Chris's manager, William Ward, before renting their own Los Angeles apartment.
2007-10: Career beginnings
Prior to becoming an actor, Hemsworth laid floors for six months. He began to seriously consider following his elder brothers' footsteps in high school by participating in school plays. Eventually, Hemsworth retained an agent. He attended his first audition at the age of sixteen and began his career in 2007 with guest spots on the shows Home and Away and McLeod's Daughters. The week of 8 July 2007, Hemsworth began filming episodes for Neighbours, an Australian soap opera his brother Luke had previously starred in. Hemsworth's character, Josh Taylor, was a recurring character from 2007 to 2008. In the show, Josh was an athletic paraplegic who supported and began a relationship with character Bridget Parker after she was paralyzed down one side of her body in a car crash. In 2008, Hemsworth began acting on the children's television show The Elephant Princess, playing "Marcus", the attractive lead guitarist of the protagonist's band. Hemsworth later had roles in the television series Satisfaction and starred in the British film Triangle. He also made a brief appearance as an MIT student in the film Knowing.
In 2009, Hemsworth was selected to act opposite Sylvester Stallone in Stallone's 2010 film, The Expendables, but his character was written out of the script (Hemsworth later co-starred in The Expendables 2). Hemsworth's brother, Chris, told Movieline that just a few hours after Hemsworth learned he would not appear in The Expendables, director Kenneth Branagh called to ask him to test for the lead role in the 2011 film Thor. Hemsworth moved to the States in March 2009 for screen tests. Though he eventually lost the part to Chris in May, Disney announced later the same week that Hemsworth had landed the part of Will Blakelee in the 2010 drama The Last Song, based on the Nicholas Sparks novel by the same name. Hemsworth plays the love interest of Miley Cyrus's character in the film. Nikki Finke reported that Hemsworth had been in Los Angeles for just three weeks and had not yet found an agent when he was cast. Hemsworth next appeared in the music video for Cyrus' "When I Look at You" which was recorded on 16 August 2009.
In September 2009, Hemsworth appeared at a dinner event to promote Foxtel, an Australian pay television company. In March 2010, Details magazine selected Hemsworth as one of their predictions for "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Later that month, it was announced that Hemsworth was in negotiations to star in Arabian Nights, a 3D action film that will be directed by Chuck Russell for Inferno Entertainment. It was later confirmed that he will be starring in the movie. He has also reportedly been offered the lead role in "Northern Lights" after "Twilight" star Taylor Lautner withdrew from the David Ellison-financed project.
On 4 April 2011, Lionsgate announced Hemsworth to be one of the leads, Gale Hawthorne, in The Hunger Games, which was released in 2012. In June 2011, he became attached to war drama Love and Honor which also stars Aimee Teegarden and Teresa Palmer.
In 2013, Hemsworth will appear in Empire State with Emma Roberts, Paranoia co-starring Harrison Ford and Timeless as a widower who travels back in time. He will reprise his role as Gale Hawthorne in the sequel to The Hunger Games called The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, set to be released in November 2013.
While filming The Last Song in June 2009, Hemsworth began dating his co-star Miley Cyrus. In August 2010, it was confirmed that his relationship with Cyrus had ended. Cyrus and Hemsworth were seen together a month later, and had reportedly reconciled. It was announced in early November that the couple had split again, but reconciled their relationship a second time. In 2012, the couple announced their engagement. In the March 2013 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, Miley's cover story quotes her speaking about Liam Hemsworth saying, "That’s my hubby!" and "I’m so happy I’m married."
Hemsworth is the ambassador of the Australian Childhood Foundation. Hemsworth talked about his association with the foundation, "I have the best parents you can have. They have worked in child protection for twenty years and have only ever given me encouragement and support. The world is a scary enough place as it is for children. It is important that home should always be a safe place for them." When asked if he believed he was a hero to children, Liam modestly responded, "I don't know if I'm a hero to children, but I'd like to be. I'd like to be a good role model."
- "Liam Hemsworth Bio". E!Online. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- From Ira Madison (2009-05-04). "The Verge: Chris Hemsworth". Movieline. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island'". Herald Sun. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Brothers LA's hot new family". Herald Sun. 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Miley Cyrus Stole My Boyfriend". Woman's Day. 2009-08-31. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- Talbot, Lindsay (2009-11-18). "Exclusive Q&A and Clip with The Last Song's Liam Hemsworth". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Smith, Krista (2010-01). "The Brothers Hemsworth". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Finke, Nikki (2009-06-16). "Exclusive: Chris Hemsworth is 'Thor'". Deadline Hollywood Daily. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- A kiss wasn't just a kiss: Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus' on-set romance
- "Liam Hemsworth". Mark Morrisey & Associates. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Hemsworth bros face off". Herald Sun. 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "Declan Napier". Neighbours.com.au. Neighbours. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "The Elephant Princess". Jonathan-m-shiff.com.au. The Elephant Princess. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Walters, David (2010-03). "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Details. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- Conn, Leslie (2009-05-19). "Casting for Miley Cyrus movie under way". Savannah Morning News. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Savannah, 'The Last Song' featured in Miley Cyrus music video". Savannah Morning News. 2009-09-12. Archived from the original on 2010-01-02. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Shankman, Adam (2009-08-16). "Twitter / Adam Shankman: Just wrapped "When I Look...". Twitter. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- "Miley Cyrus Aussie lover Liam Hemsworth mum on romance at Foxtel event". The Daily Telegraph. 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- Liam Hemsworth to star in 'Arabian Nights' adventure movie
- Sneider, Jeff (2010-04-19). "Exclusive: Hemsworth to Star in College Hoops Movie". TheWrap.com. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- Trumbore, Dave (2011-06-25). "Liam Hemsworth Goes AWOL; Teresa Palmer, Austin Stowell, and Aimee Teegarden Also in Talks to Join". Collider. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Miley Cyrus Discusses Her Chemistry With Liam Hemsworth On 'Ellen'". MTV News. MTV. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Break-Up". NowPublic. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth Split". US Magazine. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemsworth Are Back Together". People Magazine. 2010-09-12. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- "Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemsworth Split – Again". People Magazine. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth: Back Together? | Showbiz Spy – celebrity news, rumors & gossip". Showbiz Spy. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth Are Engaged". People. 2012-06-06. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Did Miley Cyrus And Liam Hemsworth Get Married? Cosmo Cover Story Reveals Details". B96 Chicago. 29 January 2013. Text "News" ignored (help)
- "Liam Hemsworth calls on Australians to support children by donating to Childhood Hero Appeal". Retrieved 2012-03-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Liam Hemsworth|