Libertarian Party of Michigan
|Libertarian Party of Michigan|
|Vice Chairman||Scotty Boman|
The Libertarian Party of Michigan was founded in Taylor, Michigan in 1972 and remains on the ballot as Michigan’s third oldest active political party. It is the Michigan affiliate of the Libertarian Party of the United States.
Since its founding, the Libertarian Party of Michigan has fielded candidates for a variety of offices and has retained its position on the state ballot. In the 2006 general election, the Libertarian Party of Michigan was the only political party in the state to support the successful Michigan Civil Rights Initiative. The party's gubernatorial candidate, Greg Creswell, and his running mate Scotty Boman made it the centerpiece of their campaigns. Several Libertarians have held public office in Michigan, most at the local level. The party is a member of the Michigan Third Parties Coalition which advocates changes in Michigan's election laws.
Libertarians in public office
- Councilman Andrew LeCureaux of Hazel Park.
- Mayor Pro Tem Mark Owen of Owosso.
- Councilman Bill Bradley City of South Haven.
- Another Libertarian elected to office in Michigan was David Eisenbacher who has returned the Troy City Council.
- Park Commissioner Lawrence W. Johnson of Ypsilanti Township was elected in 2008 on a partisan ballot.
Former elected libertarians
Former elected Libertarians include:
- Mayor Pro Tem  Erin Stahl of St. Clair Shores,
- Fred Collins, who served as Councilman for the City of Berkley, Michigan  from 1997 until he gave up his position to run for Mayor in 2005, and lost the election.
- Councilman Mark Byrne. who is now active with Unifour Area Libertarian Party in North Carolina.
- Park Commissioner Tom Bagwell of Ypsilanti Township was elected in 2008 on a partisan ballot, but left office after moving from Ypsilanti Township.
Libertarians appointed to public office
- Lloyd Sherman (died December 25, 2006) – Hazel Park Brownfield Authority, Hazel Park Facilities and Infrastructure Citizens Advisory Board, Hazel Park Fence Review Board, Hazel Park Zoning Board of Appeals, Hazel Park General Building Authority.
- Will Tyler White Vice-Chair Meridian Charter Township Economic Development Corporation (EDC)
- Donald Flatt – Commissioner, Portage Parks and Recreation Board.
- Steven Butler – Co-Chair, Grand Rapids Environmental Mandates Committee.
- James McAbee – Romeo Planning Commission
- Darrell Johnson – Berkley City Planning Commission
Defender of Liberty Awards
"Defender of Liberty" Awards ("Libbies") have been presented by the Libertarian Party of Michigan at its annual LibertyFest Banquet to a maximum of four select individuals, Libertarian or otherwise, whom the LPM believes have made notable personal efforts in the defense of liberty. Winners must live and/or work in the state of Michigan. The Libertarian Party of Michigan lists three subcategories for the award:
- Spokesperson for Liberty – a member of the community whose patriotism and conviction have inspired contributions to the cause of Liberty
- Promoter of Liberty – A Libertarian whose efforts have done the most to promote the LP and Libertarian principles
- Producer of Liberty – a dedicated, behind-the-scenes Libertarian whose quiet labors over the years exemplifies the backbone of the LP.
- Salvette, Emily H. "The Libertarian Party of Michigan Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Project""mi.lp.org" (website)
- Jacobs, Dick M. "Michigan political parties: Libertarian Party" "bentley.umich.edu" (website)
- Libertarian Party of Michigan, "Official Website" "mi.lp.org" (website)
- Libertarian Party of Michigan, "Alternate Libertarian Party of Michigan Website" "michiganlp.org" (website)
- The Associated Press (October 22, 2004). "Libertarians going in with large slate, low expectations". The Macomb Daily.
- Libertarian National Committee, "The Party of Principle" "lp.org" (website)
- Land, Terri (Secretary of State). "Elections in Michigan" "mi.gov" (website)
- Boman, Scotty (November 21, 2006). "Liberty Fest Honors Defenders of Liberty". LPM Online.
- By Any Means Necessary,"PICKET & PROTEST of the MICHIGAN LIBERTARIAN PARTY". "bamn.com" (website)
- Creswell, Greg "Greg Creswell for Governor". "gregcreswell.com" (website)
- Boman, Scotty "Scotty Boman for Lt. Governor". "scottyboman.com" (website)
- Michalak, John (December 27, 2006). "A friend to Hazel Park loses battle with lymphoma". Daily Tribune.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan, "Michigan Libertarians In Office""mi.lp.org" (website).
- "Michigan Third Parties Coalition Formed"
- Libertarian Party of Michigan, "Elections on November 6th". "Michiganlp.org" (website)
- Hazel Park City Government, "Elected Officials". "hazelpark.org" (website)
- Owosso City Government, "Our Local Government". "ci.owosso.mi.us" (website)
- South Haven City Government, "City Council Members". "south-haven.com" (website)
- Oparka, Terry (November 7, 2007). "Troy incumbents prevail — the slate does not". C & G newspapers.
- Michalak, John (March 29, 2005). "Troy eyes prayer policy". Daily Tribune.
- Eisenbacher, David  "eisenbacher.org" (website)
- Dirasian, Greg (April 2, 2002). "Eisenbacher Wins!!!". LPM Online.
- Hall, Bill (November 27, 2008). "Libertarian Party of Michigan November election highlights". Independent Political Report.
- Stahl, Erin "Erin Stahl for St. Clair Shores City Council". "erinstahl" (website)
- St. Clair Shores City Government, "St. Clair Shores City Council" . "ci.saint-clair-shores.mi.us" (website)
- Libertarian Party National Committee, "Our History". "lp.org" (website)
- The Libertarian Party of Virginia,"59 Libertarians elected to local office in nine states" "lpva.com" (website)
- Hunter, Melanie; Deputy Managing Editor (2004). "Libertarian, Green, Independent Party Candidates Hold Debate in NYC". CNSNews.com.
- THIRTIETH COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BERKLEY, "THE THIRTY-FOURTH MEETING OF THE THIRTIETH COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BERKLEY, MICHIGAN". "berkleymich.org" (website)
- Berkley City Government, "2005 Election Results" "berkleymich.org" (website)
- MURPHY, SHANNON (November 7, 2007). "A vote for change: Former police captain earns most votes in council race". "Times Herald".
- Meridian Township Board, "CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP BOARD REGULAR MEETING" "meridian.mi.us" (website)
- Brennan, Ryan "Libertarian Party: Number of Libertarians in Office: 601+" "ThirdPartyNews.net" (website)
- Stempfle, Greg (May–June 2002). "Campaign Conference Recap". Michigan Libertarian.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan Defender of Liberty Awards. "mi.lp.org" (Website).
- Libertarian Party of Michigan Website
- National Libertarian Party website
- University of Michigan Library Reference
- League of Women Voters Election Guide
- Vote USA Michigan 2006 Election
- Greg Creswell's Vote USA Posting.
- Gregory Creswell's early role in placing MCRI on the Ballot
- Article on the late Lloyd Sherman, holder of many public offices
- International Society for Individual Liberty, Michigan Chapter