Libertas (Czech Republic)
|Founded||January 21 2009|
|Headquarters||Dlouhá 12, 110 00 Prague 1|
|Ideology||anti-Lisbon Treaty, Euroscepticism|
Libertas.cz is a eurosceptic party in the Czech Republic that was founded in 2009 by the former media entrepreneur and MEP Vladimír Železný. After some controversies it became an associate of Declan Ganley's pan-European alliance Libertas.eu.
After comprehensive negotiations with president Václav Klaus and other leading Czech eurosceptics, Ganley's attempts to bring about a Czech branch of Libertas.eu remained unsuccessful. The newly founded Party of Free Citizens, which was endorsed by Klaus, unexpectedly refused to cooperate with Ganley's pan-European alliance, leaving the name Libertas unclaimed in the Czech Republic.
This enabled the former media mogul Vladimír Železný, a eurosceptic Member of the European Parliament  to register a party under exactly the designated name by January 21 2009. It remained unclear whether the registration had been accomplished in some way on behalf of the European Libertas.eu or without any consent.
Supporters of Železný's Libertas.cz included Jana Bobošíková and Vlastimil Tlustý but not Declan Ganley and his followers, who promptly disavowed the party. However, after Václav Klaus intervened, two MPs, Vlastimil Tlustý and Jan Schwippel, changed sides, leaving ODS and joining Železný's Libertas.cz. This led the European Libertas.eu to a volte-face, now claiming Železný's Libertas.cz an affiliate.
2009 European Parliament elections
The list fielded by Libertas.cz in the 2009 European Parliament elections contained the following 29 candidates:
|Code||Party||Number of candidates||%||Source|
|99||no party affiliation||6||20.69|||
|53||Občanská demokratická strana||1||3.45|||
|701||Doktoři (za uzdravení společnosti)||1||3.45|||
The list contained the nineteen candidates from Železný's other party (Nezávislí demokraté), six independents (including Jan Schwippel, now disavowed ODS), one ODS (Vlastimil Tlustý), and three other candidates.
The number of candidates elected was zero.
- "Železný: O jedničce na kandidátce Libertas.cz rozhodnou Češi, ne Irové". zpravy.idnes.cz]. 24 January 2009.
- "Lidovky.cz: Czech MEP Železný establishes Libertas.cz movement", January 21 2009, Prague Monitor
- "Libertas.cz: Contact details".
- "Czech Libertas recruit has conviction for evading duty". Irish Times, Thursday. January 22, 2009.
- "Euro Watch: Cyclone Klaus hits Europe", February 5 2009, Prague Post
- "Lidovky.cz: Czech MEP's Libertas appears without Ganley's knowledge" 23 January 2009, Prague Monitor
- "Libertas faces UK electoral hurdle over party name". Irish Times, Friday. January 23, 2009.
- "Czech president meets MEPs from eurosceptical group", March 5 2009, Prague Monitor
- "Czech rebel MPs to join Libertas.cz and run in EP elex", 14:40 31 March 2009, aktualne.centrum.cz
- "Fleet Sheet: Today´s news: 1.4.2009 09:38", from fleet-sheet.respekt.cz
- "MPs who voted against Czech government join Libertas list for European Parliament elections", 1 April 2009 21:00, libertas.eu