|Area||0.38 sq mi (1 km2)|
|- land||0.38 sq mi (1 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,357.9 / sq mi (524 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Liberty, Illinois|
Liberty is located at (39.879948, -91.108137).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 0.38 square miles (0.98 km2), all land.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
"Liberty Township began with the first settlement made on Section 28, by Daniel Lile, in the spring of 1822, and many old settlers followed about the same time. The first regular preacher was George Wolfe of the Dunkard denomination. First horse mill was built by Daniel Lile. The first marriage was that of Jacob Waggle to a Miss Hunsaker, by the Rev. George Wolfe, at the house of the bride's father. The first birth and death, was an infant child of Mr. Kimbrick. The first Supervisor was David Wolfe. The town of Liberty is nearly in the center of the township and is quite a flourishing little town. Liberty is inhabited by an industrious and intelligent people, who have fine farms and desirable houses."
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
As of the census of 2000, there were 519 people, 212 households, and 159 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,386.7 people per square mile (541.6/km²). There were 231 housing units at an average density of 617.2 per square mile (241.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.81% White and 0.19% Native American. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.19% of the population.
There were 212 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.0% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the village the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 27.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were males.
The median income for a household in the village was $36,417, and the median income for a family was $39,773. Males had a median income of $31,071 versus $20,962 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,565. About 10.7% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.8% of those under age 18 and 40.7% of those age 65 or over.
The rate of college-level education in Liberty is quite a bit lower than the national average among all cities of 14.96%: just 10.26% of people here over 25 have a bachelor's degree or an advanced degree.
The per capita income in Liberty in 2000 was $18,682, which is middle income relative to Illinois and the nation. This equates to an annual income of $74,728 for a family of four.
The people who call Liberty home come from a variety of different races and ancestries. Important ancestries of people in Liberty include German, English, and Irish.
The most common language spoken in Liberty is English.
In Liberty, 94% of commuters drive to work.
In Liberty, about 62% of adults are married. The other 38% are not.
Because occupations involving physical labor dominate the local economy, Liberty is generally considered to be a blue-collar town. 35.9% of the Liberty workforce is employed in blue-collar occupations, compared to the national average of 24.7%. Overall, Liberty is a town of sales and office workers, service providers, and professionals. There are especially a lot of people living in Liberty who work in office and administrative support jobs (14.82%), sales jobs (8.99%), and farm management (6.91%).
Liberty High School is located at 505 N. Park Street and serves grades 9 through 12. Enrollment is 175 students.
Liberty Elementary School, also located at 505 N. Park Street, serves pre-kindergarten through eighth grade.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Liberty village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "An Early History of Liberty Township" from 1875 atlas
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Liberty Community Unit School District #2 official website
- History of Liberty Community Unit School District #2, from Liberty Community Historical Society