Liberty National Golf Club
Clubhouse in February 2012
|Location||Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Tournaments hosted||The Barclays
|Greens||Bentgrass - A4|
|Fairways||Bentgrass - L93|
|Designed by||Lindsay Newman
Architecture & Design,
Robert Cupp &
|Length||7,458 yards (6,820 m)|
|Slope rating||155 |
|Course record||62 Kevin Chappell (2013)|
Liberty National is a country club in Jersey City, New Jersey with the club house, guest villas, teaching super center and halfway house refereed to as "Cafe 12" designed by Lindsay Newman Architecture and Design and with a 7,346-yard (6,717 m) course designed by Robert E. Cupp and Tom Kite. The club cost over $250 million to build, making it one of the most expensive golf courses in history. Club designers added amenities such as an on-site helistop, yacht services, a spa and a restaurant. Nine hundred adjacent homes, slated to be built in the coming years, are said to cost from $1.5 million to $5 million. Liberty National is noted as a unique course because of its proximity to both the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan, as well as the fact it was built on a former landfill.
Liberty National hosted The Barclays, formerly the Westchester Classic, in 2009 after Westchester Country Club decided it would no longer host the event after 40 years of doing so. Heath Slocum won the event with a score of 275 (–9). Liberty National hosted The Barclays again in August 2013, prior to which the course underwent many changes.
Liberty National has notable members such as:
- Rudolph W. Giuliani
- Cristie Kerr
- Robert Kraft
- Eli Manning
- Phil Mickelson
- Justin Timberlake
- Mark Wahlberg
- Matt Harvey
- "Fact Sheet : The Barclays". GCSAA. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "The Barclays: Course". PGA Tour. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "Course Rating and Slope Database: Liberty National Golf Club". USGA. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Hack, Damon (May 16, 2007). "PGA Tournament With a View of the New York City Skyline". The New York Times. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "$129-million Liberty National Golf Course Opens in Jersey City". New Jersey Business 54 (8). August 2006. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Barclays tournament to Liberty National in 2009". USA Today. May 16, 2007. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "This Week in Golf - August 21st through August 24th". August 18, 2008. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "Liberty National's hole-by-hole changes". PGA Tour. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.