Liberty Township, Delaware County, Ohio
|Liberty Township, Delaware County, Ohio|
|Motto: "A Nice Place to Live!"|
Location of Liberty Township in Delaware County
|• Total||33.3 sq mi (86.3 km2)|
|• Land||32.9 sq mi (85.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||886 ft (270 m)|
|• Density||469.2/sq mi (181.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086050|
Liberty Township is one of the eighteen townships of Delaware County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 15,429 people in the township, 9,182 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township. This was a significant increase from the 1990 census, at which time its population was only 3,790. Liberty Township had 5,681 housing units in 2000.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Delaware Township - north
- Berlin Township - northeast
- Orange Township - east
- Sharon Township, Franklin County - southeast corner
- Perry Township, Franklin County - south
- Dublin - southwest
- Concord Township - west
Name and history
The first non-American Indian settler of Liberty Township - also of Delaware County - was Capt. Nathan Carpenter, who settled in the township on May 1, 1801, after a journey of over 2½ months from New York. Liberty Township was also "one of the three original townships into which the county was divided for temporary purposes, at the time of its formation."
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Delaware County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- HISTORY OF DELAWARE AND OHIO, Containing a brief History of the State of Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, embracing its topography, geological, physical and climatic features; its agricultural, stock growing, railroad interests, etc.; a .History of Delaware County, giving an account of its aboriginal inhabitants, early settlement by the whites, pioneer incidents, its growth, its improvements, organization of the county, its judicial and political history, its business and industries, churches, school, etc. Biographical Sketches; Portraits of some of the Early Settlers and Prominent Men, etc., etc. ILLUSTRATED" CHICAGO O. L.. BASKIN S CO., HISTORICAL PUBLISHERS, 66 DEARBORN STREET. 1880; CHAPTER XIV. LIBERTY TOWNSHIP-EARLY SETTLEMENT-PIONEER LIFE-MILLS AND OTHER IMPROVEMENTS -SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, ETC.-STORES AND VILLAGES pp 412 - 428.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.