Libertyville High School
|Libertyville High School|
|708 W. Park Ave.
Libertyville, Illinois, 60048
|School type||public secondary|
|School district||Community High School District 128|
|Principal||Dr. Marina Scott |
|Average class size||20.5|
|Slogan||"Excellence is our standard"|
|Fight song||Loyal and True|
|Athletics conference||North Suburban Conference|
|Mascot||Willy the Wildcat|
|Average ACT scores||25.0|
|Publication||Slant of Light|
|Newspaper||'Drops of Ink|
Libertyville High School, or LHS, is a public four-year high school located in Libertyville, Illinois, a northern suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. Located at the intersection of Park Avenue (IL Rte 176) and Dawes Street, it sits on the shore of Butler Lake and is part of Community High School District 128, which also includes Vernon Hills High School.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2009)|
The school was originally founded as Libertyville Township High School in 1917. The original building (The Brainerd Campus) still stands today. When it opened in the fall there were 138 students from Libertyville and the surrounding towns and seven teachers . In July 2008, the Brainerd building was named to the National Register of Historic Places for its role as the first four-year high school building in Central Lake County, and its over 80 subsequent years of continued use. Plans are underway to convert the former Brainerd campus into a community cultural, athletic, and performing arts center called the Brainerd Community Center. The Butler Lake Campus (pictured below) opened its doors in 1956. In 2003, Libertyville High School began a $9 million expansion project to add new offices, classrooms and an expansion of the school's music department.
In the film Public Enemies, footage of the school's science lab, an office, the school's front entrance, and the locker rooms was filmed during spring break of March. The 2001 film New Port South was also filmed at Libertyville High School. Portions of the 2009 horror film The Unborn was filmed in the high school's locker rooms.
LHS draws students from several feeder schools in the area, the majority of which matriculated from Highland Middle School in Libertyville. Other school districts supplying students to LHS include the Vernon Hills-based Hawthorn School District 73, Oak Grove School District 68 in neighboring Green Oaks, Rondout School District 72 serving unincorporated Lake Forest, and students from St. Joseph Elementary School in Libertyville who do not go on to attend Carmel Catholic High School in Mundelein.
In 2013, according to the Chicago Tribune Illinois School Report Card, student's average composite ACT score was 26 which, is above the Illinois state average of 20.3. In 2010 the Chicago Tribune Illinois School Report Card ranked Libertyville High School the ninth best public high school in Illinois, based on its average composite ACT score of 25.3. 98.0% of seniors were graduated in 2010  LHS has also been consistently recognized by NEWSWEEK magazine in their annual "America's Best High Schools" list.
Libertyville High School supports numerous extracurricular clubs and activities, some of which change from year to year based on student interest. The updated list is available here.
The LHS Wind Ensemble has performed at several national and international music conferences. In 1998 and 2004, the Wind Ensemble performed at the prestigious Midwest International Band and Orchestra Clinic. The Wind Ensemble was also one of sixteen bands in the entire country selected to participate in the Bands of America National Concert Band Festival in Indianapolis in 2001, 2007, 2009, and 2013, and its percussion ensemble was selected to participate in 2013. In 2007 the Wind Ensemble earned the recognition of National Wind Band Honors in the highest class, AAAAA.
The Wind Ensemble has been named the Class AAA Honor Band at the University of Illinois Superstate Festival every year it has been eligible from 1996–2004, and was again named the Honor Band in 2007. In 2009, both the Libertyville High School and Vernon Hills High School Wind Ensembles were named Honor Band at the Superstate Festival, marking the first time that both Wind Ensembles in District 128 took the top honor in the same year. In 2011, Libertyville High School again won the top division of the Superstate Competition with its performance of "Cityscape," a piece premiered in the Krannert Center where the concert was performed, as well as Richard Strauss's transcription of "Don Juan." Vernon Hills High School won the next division down, and so District 128 swept the top two divisions for the second time. Libertyville will perform as Class AAA Honor Band at the SuperState Contest in 2012.
The school's jazz band has also won many awards, and performed at the National Band Association Convention in 1992, as well as the Midwest Clinic in 1982 and 1993. In 2009, Jazz Ensemble I was named Best Band of the Day among all Class AA schools participating in the North Shore Jazz Festival, one of the state's largest jazz festivals.
There are currently three Libertyville orchestras, including the Symphony Orchestra, which is consistently one of the top high school orchestras in Illinois. The orchestra performed at the international Midwest Clinic in 1991, 1996, and 2004. The orchestra has also performed on numerous overseas tours, including performances in China, Italy, and Austria, among others.
Libertyville competes in the North Suburban Conference. Libertyville is also a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which sponsors State Championship Tournaments in most sports. Its mascot is the Wildcat. In 2005 Libertyville put in a modern FieldTurf field, along with new speakers.
The school sponsors interscholastic sports teams for boys and girls in basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, volleyball, and water polo. Boys may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling. Girls may compete in cheerleading and softball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors teams for men and women in lacrosse, as well as teams for women in poms.
The football team won the IHSA state championship in 2004 and was runner-up in 2003.
The girls' soccer team has won two IHSA state titles (1991, 2001). The boys' soccer team placed 2nd in the IHSA State championship in the 2010 season. Also in the 2010 season, they won the Pepsi Showdown led by two time All-Stater, Marshall Hollingsworth.
The Libertyville High School Varsity Cheerleading took 2nd place in the Co-Ed Division in the IHSA State Competition in 2010-2011. Season Summaries for Libertyville HS</ref>
LHS's boys lacrosse team made it to the state final in 2004, losing to Loyola Academy. The team is a powerhouse in the state of Illinois, appearing in multiple state final fours.
LHS's wrestling program appeared in the 2008 Dual Team State Finals, taking fourth. This performance was the capstone on a run of 19 regional championships in 20 years with Team State appearances in 2002, 2005, and 2008.
LHS's baseball team took 2nd place in the IHSA State Championship in 2012-2013. They finished the season with a 27-11-1 record under Head Coach Jim Schurr. </ref>
LHS's Girls Volleyball team placed 4th in the IHSA State Championship in 2007-2008 under Head Coach Chris Trzyna and in 4th place in 2012-2013 under Head Coach Greg Loika. </ref>
- Marlon Brando (did not graduate) was a two time Academy Award winning actor., widely regarded as one of the greatest actors of all time.
- Steven Brooks is a professional lacrosse player for the Chesapeake Bayhawks of the MLL. He was an All-American at Syracuse University.
- Brett Butler was a Major League Baseball player (1981–97) with over 500 career stolen bases.
- Maureen Herman is the bassist for the band Babes in Toyland.
- Baggio Husidic is a professional soccer player for the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer. He was an All-American at the University of Illinois - Chicago.
- Adam Jones is a three-time Grammy Award-winning guitarist for the band Tool.
- Tom Morello is the Grammy Award-winning guitarist of Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, and The Nightwatchman.
- Jim Naureckas is the editor of the magazine Extra!, published by Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.
- Jim Panther is a former Major League Baseball pitcher (1971–73).
- Kevin Walter is a professional football player (2003–present), currently playing wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League.
- Charles R. Krikorian is an accomplished attorney and statesman.
- District 128 Administration; accessed 10 April 2009
- Libertyvill HS School Administration; accessed 5 August 2009
- Staff listing for Libertyville HS; accessed 10 April 2009
- Illinois Report Card for Libertyville High School, 2008; accessed 10 April 2009
- School Publications at Libertyville HS; accessed 10 April 2009
- "Save Brainerd". Brainerd Community Center, Inc. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- . Chicago Tribune http://schools.chicagotribune.com/school/libertyville-high-school_libertyville#demographics. Retrieved 4 March 2014. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune http://schools.chicagotribune.com/
|url=missing title (help).
- Chicago Tribune http://schools.chicagotribune.com/school/libertyville-high-school_libertyville
|url=missing title (help).
- Season Summaries for Libertyville HS; accessed 10 April 2009
- "Illinois Superstate Concert Band Festival". Retrieved 2009-11-18.[dead link]
- "Fine Arts-Music-Band-Description - Libertyville High School". Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "The Music Teachers". Retrieved 2009-11-18.[dead link]
- "NationalWindBandHonors.com - 2007 Results". Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- "Minutes of the Rescheduled Regular Business Meeting of the Board of Education". Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Untitled Document". Retrieved 2009-11-18.[dead link]
- Libertyville HS Athletic Department; accessed 10 April 2009
- Lissau, Russell, Universal sets sights on Libertyville High, 13 February 2008, Daily Herald; accessed 14 September 2008
- Roche, Katherine (28 November 2007). "Wildcats are winners all the way". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
- Syracuse University lacrosse profile for Steven Brooks
- Chicago Machine player profile for Steven Brooks
- Tucker, Steve; Libertyville gets victory : Alum Brett Butler helps inspire team; 4 October 1998; Chicago Sun Times
- Arroyave, Luis; Chicago Fire selects Baggio Hsidic in MLS draft; 16 January 2009; Chicago Tribune; accessed 10 April 2009
- Sicha, Choire (22 March 2009). "Tom Morello: Rocker with a conscience". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- NFL player profile for Kevin Walter; accessed 10 April 2009