Library history is a subdiscipline within library science and library and information science focusing on the history of libraries and their role in societies and cultures.  Some see the field as a subset of information history  Library history is an academic discipline and should not be confused with its object of study (history of libraries): the discipline is much younger than the libraries it studies. Library history begins in ancient societies through contemporary issues facing libraries today.  Topics include recording mediums, cataloguing systems, scholars, scribes, library supporters and librarians. 
- Libraries & the Cultural Record; exploring the history of collections of recorded knowledge (L & C R); until 2006: Libraries & Culture; until 1988: The Journal of Library History; until 1974: Journal of Library History, Philosophy, and Comparative Librarianship; until 1973: The Journal of Library History.
- Library & Information History (until 2008: Library History; until 1967: Library Association. Library History Group. Newsletter)
- Library History Review
- Library History Round Table Newsletter (L H R T Newsletter), until 1992: L H R T Newsletter; until 198?: L H R T; until 1979: A L H R T Newsletter.
- Phyllis Dain Library History Award
- Donald G. Davis Article Award
- Eliza Atkins Gleason Book Award
- Justin Winsor Library History Essay Award
- Andrew Carnegie
- History of libraries
- History of public library advocacy
- Information history
- Librarians in popular culture
- Libraries & the Cultural Record
- Library historian
- Buchanan, Anne L. & Herubel, Jean-Pierre V. M. (2011). Subject and Historiographic Characteristics of Library History: Disciplinary considerations and scholarship. Journal of Scholarly Publishing, 42(4), 503-522;Wiegand, Wayne A., & Davis, Donald G., red. (1994). Encyclopedia of library history. New York: Garland.
- Black, A. (2006). Information history. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 40 , 441-473.
- Murray, Stuart (2009). The Library an illustrated history. New York: Skyhorse Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60239-706-4.
- Hildenbrand, Suzanne, red. (1996). Reclaiming the American library past: Writing the women in. Norwood, N.J.: Ablex.