|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
LibreOffice Writer is the free and open-source word processor component of the LibreOffice software package and is a fork of OpenOffice.org Writer. Writer is a word processor similar to Microsoft Word and Corel's WordPerfect, with some identical features.
LibreOffice Writer is released under the GNU Lesser General Public License v3.
As with the entire LibreOffice suite, Writer can be used across a variety of platforms, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
Writer is capable of opening and saving documents in a number of formats, including the Open Document Format 1.2 Extended (its default format), Microsoft Word's DOC, DOCX, RTF and XHTML.
Writer provides a number of features, such as the inclusion of a word completion mechanism for predictive writing and the ability to export to PDF format.
- Templates and styles
- A spelling and grammar checker (Hunspell) 
- Word and character count 
- Support for autofilter per sheet: It is now possible to set autofilter per sheet without manually creating named database ranges prior to setting autofilter
- Page-layout methods, including frames, columns, and tables
- Embedding or linking of graphics, spreadsheets, and other objects
- Built-in drawing tools
- Java text rendering replaced by native text rendering which greatly improves readability
- The preexisting Java dialogs have been replaced with simpler native dialog boxes.
- Support Color and line styles for the columns and footnote separator lines. This is improving the compatibility of LibreOffice with ODF
- Master documents—to group a collection of documents into a single document
- Change tracking during revisions
- The ability to import and edit PDF files.
- Significantly improved file compatibility when dealing with Microsoft Word as compared to OpenOffice
- Database integration, including a bibliography database
- Export to PDF, including bookmarks
- Equation editor (LibreOffice Math)
- Scriptable and Remote Controllable via the UNO API
- Selection of non-consecutive items in Add Mode
Versions for LibreOffice Writer include the following:
|25 January 2011
- Import of MS Works documents now possible.
- SVG import into Writer is now possible.
- Many WordPerfect import improvements.
|3 June 2011
- New gradient / drop-shadow to highlight writer pages, with configurable colors in the options.
- Text rendering has been improved as text is now drawn via Cairo with the same subpixeling options as other Cairo-using apps.
|14 February 2012
- Better UI for header/footer handling. Easily add header or footers.
- Faster built-in grammar checking.
- Custom Shapes import was greatly enhanced, many bugs were fixed and new presets implementation added.
- Import filter for Microsoft Visio documents.
|12 August 2012
- Support for contextual spacing
- Support for importing Smart Art
- Word count (whole document and selection) in status bar
- Shows Text Boundaries depending on the choice of display unprintable characters
|7 February 2013
- Support for comments to text ranges in Writer
- Import ink annotations from DOCX and RTF documents
- Various DOCX improvements
|25 July 2013
- Images embedded in writer can now be rotated easily in 90 degree increments
- Embedding fonts in a Writer document
- Writer textframes now support having a gradient as background 
|30 January 2014
- format one or more characters with a border
- Writer can now create DOT files
- DOCX Interoperability: Numerous significant improvements to interoperability with Microsoft Word's DOCX format