|Borough of Berlin|
|• Mayor||Andreas Geisel (SPD)|
|• Total||52.30 km2 (20.19 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,100/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The district contains the Tierpark Berlin in Friedrichsfelde, the larger of Berlin's two zoological gardens. Lichtenberg was also the site of the extensive headquarters complex of the Stasi, the East German intelligence service. Prior to the establishment of the GDR it housed the main office of the Soviet Military Administration in Berlin, and before that it was an officers' mess of the Wehrmacht. The complex is now the German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst. The Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial is on the site of the main remand prison of the Stasi.
Lichtenberg is divided into 10 localities:
30 June 2008
The historic village of Lichtenberg together with neighbouring Friedrichsfelde, Karlshorst, Marzahn, Biesdorf, Hellersdorf, Kaulsdorf and Mahlsdorf was incorporated as the 17th borough of Berlin by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act.
In the 1970s the East German government had large pre-fabricated high-rise housing estates (Plattenbau) built in the east of the Lichtenberg borough. This area was separated off and became the new borough of Marzahn, which included Biesdorf, Hellersdorf, Kaulsdorf and Mahlsdorf in 1979. In 1986 this district in turn was split into the two boroughs of Marzahn and Hellersdorf in 1986, and again merged as Marzahn-Hellersdorf by the 2001 administrative reform.
At the 2011 elections for the parliament of the borough (Bezirksverordnetenversammlung) the following parties were elected:
The Lichtenberg borough has five twin towns:
- 5. district, Maputo, Mozambique since 1995
- Białołęka, Warsaw, Poland since 2000
- Kaliningrad, Russia since 2001
- Hajnówka County, Poland since 2001
- Jurbarkas district municipality, Lithuania since 2003
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lichtenberg.|
- "Lichtenberg". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Lichtenberg". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press
- Official homepage
- Official homepage of Berlin
- Event- und Informationportal of Berlin Lichtenberg