Liebherr T 282B
|Liebherr T 282B|
Liebherr T 282B mining truck
|Manufacturer||Liebherr Mining Equipment Co.|
|Assembly||Newport News, VA, USA|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||Dump truck|
|Layout||Front engine, rear wheel drive|
Displacement: 90 litres (5,500 cu in)
Power: 3,650 horsepower (2,720 kW)
Cummins QSK 78
Displacement: 78 litres (4,800 cu in)
Power: 3,500 horsepower (2,600 kW)
|Wheelbase||21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)|
|Length||14.5 metres (48 ft)|
|Width||8.7 metres (29 ft)|
|Height||7.4 metres (24 ft)|
|Curb weight||GVW 600 short tons (544 t)|
The Liebherr T 282B is an off-highway, ultra class, rigid frame, two-axle, diesel-electric, AC powertrain haul truck designed and manufactured by the Liebherr Mining Equipment Co. The T 282B is Liebherr’s largest, highest payload capacity haul truck, offering the world the 2nd largest haul truck payload capacities in the world, up to 400 short tons (363 t). Only recently, being bested by newcomer Belaz with their behemoth model 75710 with a staggering 496-ton capacity. 
Liebherr introduced the T 282B at the Bauma trade fair in Munich, Germany, on March 29, 2004. The T 282B is the successor to the T 282, designed in Newport News, VA, a 360 short tons (327 t) payload capacity, 2,700 horsepower (2,000 kW) diesel/AC electric drive haul truck introduced in 1998. At the time of its launch in 2004, the T 282B offered the largest haul truck payload capacity in the world. The T 282B remained unmatched in payload capacity for over four years, until the introduction of the Bucyrus MT6300AC and the Caterpillar 797F at MINExpo International in September, 2008.
The T 282B is powered by a diesel/electric powertrain. Two diesel engines are available: a 3,650-horsepower (2,720 kW) DDC/MTU 20V4000, 90-litre (5,500 cu in) V20 or a 3,500-horsepower (2,600 kW) Cummins QSK 78 78-litre (4,800 cu in) V18. The diesel engine is coupled to a Siemens-Liebherr AC electric drive system. Fully loaded, the T 282B can achieve a top speed of 40 mph (64 km/h).
The T 282B is assembled at the Liebherr Mining Equipment Co. production facility in Newport News, Virginia, USA. Liebherr can simultaneously produce up to six T 282Bs.
Due to its exceptional size and weight, the T 282B cannot be driven on public roads. The T 282B is shipped in component form to the customer site before undergoing final assembly.
Although the price varies based upon customer specification and quantity ordered, each T 282B costs US$ 4 to 5 million. Liebherr expects to sell dozens of T 282B's each year, primarily to coal, copper, iron and gold mine operators in the USA, Chile, Indonesia, South Africa and Australia.
The T 282B competes directly with other 400 short tons (363 t) payload capacity haul trucks, including the Caterpillar 797F and Bucyrus MT6300AC. Depending on customer requirements, lower payload capacity 360 short tons (327 t) products such as the Komatsu 960E-1 may also place competitive pressure on sales of the T 282B.
|Public Introduction||March 29, 2004|
|Nominal Payload Capacity||400 short tons (363 t)|
|Gross Machine Operating Weight||1,316,000 lb (596,900 kg)|
|Engine Make & Model||DDC/MTU 20V4000 or Cummins QSK 78|
|Engine Arrangement||V-20 (DDC/MTU) or V-18 (Cummins)|
|Net Engine Power||3,650 hp (2,722 kW) (DDC/MTU) or 3,500 hp (2,610 kW) (Cummins)|
|Top Speed (Loaded)||40 mph (64 km/h)|
|Overall Height to Top of Canopy (Empty)||25 ft 9 in (7.85 m)|
|Overall Height (Body Raised)||48 ft 11 in (14.91 m)|
|Overall Length||50 ft 3 in (15.32 m)|
|Overall Width||30 ft 15 in (9.53 m)|
|Wheelbase||21 ft 8 in (6.60 m)|
|Fuel Capacity||1,250 US gal (4,732 l)|
|Tire Size||56/80R63 or 59/80R63|
- "Mining Truck T 282 B BK-RP LME 10100384-DD-05.09" (PDF). Liebherr T 282 B Product Brochure. Germany: Liebherr Mining Equipment Co. May 2009. p. 17. Archived from the original on 2010-02-28. Retrieved 2010-02-28. "Payload class - 363t/400 ton"
- "Liebherr - News - News Archives 2003 & 2004 - T 282 B mining truck exhibit for Bauma arrives in Munich". liebherr.com. Liebherr-International Deutschland GmbH. 2004-03-01. Archived from the original on 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01. "Liebherr will exhibit the T 282 B...at the 2004 ‘Bauma’ from March 29 to April 4."
- "Liebherr T282 Design and Development" (Press release). Liebherr Mining Equipment Co. 1998-10-16. Archived from the original on 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01. "...AC drive haul truck with a payload capacity of 360 tons/327 metric tons."
- "Caterpillar 797F, 795F-AC & 793F Mining Trucks". Mining Top News Website. 2008-10-06. Archived from the original on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-21. "At MINExpo 2008 Caterpillar introduced four new trucks.... the new 797F mechanical drive ..."
- Hall-Geisler, Kristen. "What is the biggest truck in the world?". howstuffworks.com. HowStuffWorks, Inc. Archived from the original on 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01. "The MT 6300AC was only recently introduced at the 2008 MinEXPO..."
- MT6300AC Electric Drive Truck S_TR_MT6300AC_10_1 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liebherr T 282B.|