Lies My Mother Told Me
|Lies My Mother Told Me|
|Directed by||Christian Duguay|
|Produced by||Michael Frislev
|Written by||Matt Dorff|
|Music by||Normand Corbeil|
|Editing by||Sylvain Lebel|
|Distributed by||Universal Production Partners (UPP)|
|Release dates||7 March 2005 (USA)|
|Running time||99 minutes|
Christian Duguay directed a cast that included Joely Richardson as Laren, Hayden Panettiere as Haylei, Colm Feore as Lucas, and Kailin See as Kristin. He was nominated for the Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series.
The teleplay by Matt Dorff is loosely based on the true story of The Murder of Larry McNabney by his wife, Elisa McNabney with the help of college student Sarah Dutra and fled to Florida, where she eventually was caught. Two weeks later, she hanged herself in her jail cell while awaiting extradition to California.
- Joely Richardson as Laren Sims
- Colm Feore as Lucas Mackenzie
- Hayden Panettiere as Haylei Sims
- Jasmine Berg as Young Haylei Sims
- Tim Henry as Johnny
- Judith Buchan as Jenny
- Kailin See as Kristin
- Joe Norman Shaw as Edwards Samuels
- Kira Bradley as Tammy
- Stirling Karlsen as Jodie
- Barbara Gates Wilson as Detective Rayburn
- Marty Antonini as Guy
- Rita Bozi as Carolyn
- Carrie Schiffler as Roadside Diner Waitress
- Tom Carey as Jake
Differences between the film and actual events
In real life, when charged as an accomplice in the murder of Larry McNabney, Sarah Dutra pleaded not guilty. Prosecutors decided not to pursue the death penalty, but if found guilty of first-degree murder, she faced life in prison without parole. Her trial lasted two months, and the jury reached a verdict in March 2003. She was convicted of voluntary manslaughter and sentenced to 11 years and 8 months.
- In the film, Laren buries Lucas under a bridge, in real life, she buried him in a vineyard.
- In real life Laren's first name is Lauren, and she uses the name Elisa Mcnabney, Larry Mcnabney's name was changed to Lucas Mckenzie, Sarah Dutra's first name is changed to Kristin,and her surname is not mentioned, Haylei's surname was changed as well.
- In the film, Haylei is said to be an only child, but in real life, she had a brother named Cole.
- "Dutra Sentenced In McNabney Murder". KCRA. April 21, 2003.