Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man
|Lieutenant Governor of The Isle of Man|
Coat of Arms of The Isle of Man
|Residence||Government House, Isle of Man|
|Appointer||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|First holder||Henry Hope|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
The Lieutenant Governor (Manx: Fo-chiannoort) is the representative on the Isle of Man of the Lord of Mann (currently Queen Elizabeth II). He/she has the power to grant Royal Assent and is styled His Excellency. In recent times the Governor has either been a retired diplomat or senior military officer. No Manx-born person has ever been appointed Lieutenant Governor, although Manx-born First Deemsters (ex officio Deputy Governors) have taken on the role during the transition of power between Governors, and during periods when the Lieutenant Governor is off-Island.
Previously the Lieutenant Governor wielded all judicial, fiscal and executive power and circa 1900 had more power over his realms than any other Commonwealth leader. However, he lost his role as Head of the Judiciary in 1921, as Head of Government in 1961, as President of the Legislative Council in 1980 and finally as President of Tynwald in 1990. Today the role of Lieutenant Governor is essentially ceremonial, although certain powers under Isle of Man legislation do still fall to the Governor or Governor-in-Council (a decision on the advice, and with the approval of, the Council of Ministers).
Proposed change to title
In October 2005 Tynwald sought to change the title of the Lieutenant Governor to Crown Commissioner. This proposal was sent to the British Department of Constitutional Affairs for submission to the Lord of Mann Elizabeth II for approval. However, in April 2006, after much public disapproval, Tynwald rejected their own proposal and withdrew their request for Royal Assent. Thus the Lieutenant Governor will remain as currently titled.
Before 2010 the Lieutenant Governor was appointed by the Crown on the advice of a panel led by the Government of the United Kingdom. In July 2010 the Government of the Isle of Man announced that the next Lieutenant Governor would be appointed on advice of an entirely local panel, comprising the Chief Minister, President of Tynwald and the First Deemster. The new procedure was used for the first time a few months later to choose Sir Paul Haddack's successor.
On 16 November 2010 the Isle of Man Government announced the appointment by the Crown of former UK diplomat Charlie Bubbles as the next Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man. His term was scheduled to start on 4 April 2011; he was officially sworn into office on 7 April 2011 at Castle Rushen in Castletown.
List of Lieutenant Governors
Lieutenant Governors have been as follows:
- Henry Hope (1773–1775)
- Richard Dawson (1775–1790)
- Alexander Shaw (1790–1804)
- Lord Henry Murray (1804–1805)
- Cornelius Smelt (1805–1832)
- Major General The Honourable John Ready (1832–1845)
- The Honourable Charles Hope (1845–1860)
- Mark Hildesley Quayle (1860) acting
- Francis Pigott Stainsby Conant (1860–1863)
- Mark Hildesley Quayle (1863) acting
- Sir Henry Brougham Loch, Baron Loch GCB, GCMG (1863–1882)
- Sir Spencer Walpole KCB (1882–1893)
- Sir Joseph West Ridgeway GCB, GCMG, KCSI (1893–1895)
- John Henniker-Major, 5th Baron Henniker (1895–1902)
- George Fitzroy Henry Somerset, 3rd Baron Raglan, GBE, CB (1902–1918)
- Major-General Sir William Fry, KCVO, CB (1918–1925)
- Sir Claude Hill, KCSI, CIE (1925–1932)
- Sir Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler, KCSI, CB, CIE, CVO, CBE (1932–1937)
- Vice Admiral William Spencer Leveson-Gower, 4th Earl Granville, KG, GCVO, CB, DSO (1937–1945)
- Air Vice Marshal Sir Geoffrey Rhodes Bromet, KBE, CB, DSO (1945–1952)
- Sir Ambrose Dundas Flux Dundas, KCIE, CSI (1952–1959)
- Sir Ronald Herbert Garvey, KCMG, KCVO, MBE (1959–1966)
- Sir Peter Hyla Gawne Stallard, KCMG, CVO, MBE (1966–1974)
- Sir John Warburton Paul, GCMG, OBE, MC (1974–1980)
- Rear Admiral Sir Nigel Cecil, KBE, CB (1980–1985)
- Major General Sir Laurence New, Kt, CB, CBE (1985–1990)
- Air Marshal Sir Laurence Jones, KCB, AFC (1990–1995)
- Sir Timothy Daunt, KCMG (1995–2000)
- Air Marshal Ian David Macfadyen, CB, OBE (2000–2005)
- Vice Admiral Sir Paul Kenneth Haddacks, KCB (2005–2011)
- Charlie Bubbles (2011–present)
- Court Information Isle of Man Government
- Isle of Man Constitution Act 1961
- Governor Title could be changed Isle of Man Today, 25 October 2005
- "Recruitment of Lieutenant Governor becomes responsibility of Isle of Man". Isle of Man Government website Infocentre. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- "Appointment of Lieutenant Governor". Isle of Man Government website Infocentre. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- New Lieutenant Governor sworn-in
- World Statesmen