|Original author(s)||Tom Wetmore|
|Developer(s)||Larry Hamilton and the LifeLines Team |
|Initial release||23 September 1992|
|Final release||3.0.62 / 6 October 2007|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
|Available in||Multilingual (7) |
LifeLines is a free open-source genealogy software tool to assist family history research. LifeLines primary strengths are its powerful scripting language and the ability to easily import and export information in the GEDCOM format. It was the first open-source genealogy program for Unix. The Lifelines scripting language is now supported by several other open-source programs.
Lifelines version 1.0 was written by Tom Wetmore in the fall and winter of 1990/91 for his private use. Lifelines version 2.0 was released 23 September 1992 to the public. Lifelines version 3.0 was released 12 October 1994.
Lifelines is now maintained by a team of volunteers.
LifeLines uses a text-based curses interface. A couple of experimental GUI interfaces are in development, but currently lack the stability and core functionality to make them suitable for release.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Polish, and Swedish.
- LifeLines genealogy software:Key Info - "Lifelines was written by Tom Wetmore circa 1991-1994 and he has now placed it under an MIT-style license."
- On 23 September I announced the existence of LifeLines on the soc.roots/ROOTS-L list,... LIFELINES NEWSLETTER 1, 4 October 1992, T. T. Wetmore IV, ed.
- LifeLines - Project Member List
- LifeLines FAQ - By Larry Hamilton - November 22, 2005
- LifeLines - Stable release 3.0.62 - "Fix encoding conversion for GEDCOM, pedigree, and GEDCOM text modes."
- LifeLines genealogy software:Key Info - "Internationalization and localization: Native language support has been added for a number of languages, including Danish, French, German, and Swedish beginning with the 3.0.29 release."
- Windows XP Versus Linux: A Genealogist’s Viewpoint - By Dick Eastman - 2001 - "Lifelines was the first genealogy program to become available for Linux."
- Open Source Genealogy Software - By John Finlay - 2005
- LifeLines 3.0.1 Available, From:"T.T.Wetmore", Date:12 Oct 1994, LINES-L Archives
- FAQ#23. Will there ever be a GUI for LifeLines?