Lifeguard (automobile safety)
- Two standard features:
- Three optional features:
- Front and rear  lap only seat belts (first offered by Ford in 1955).
- Padded dashboard and sun visors (the padding was advertised as being more absorbent than foam rubber.) The instruments were recessed to minimize injury potential.
- Safety rearview mirror to reduce broken glass if shattered.
The buying public was unresponsive to the Lifeguard package according to some, prompting Henry Ford II to say: McNamara is selling safety, but Chevrolet is selling cars. Ralph Nader and Joan Claybrook claim that the package was extremely popular.
- Flory, Jr., J. "Kelly" (2008). American Cars, 1946-1959 Every Model Every Year. McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 978-0-7864-3229-5.
- Ford brochure: NEW FORD SEAT BELTS an important feature of Ford Lifeguard Design