Lifeguard (automobile safety)
- Two standard features:
- Three optional features:
- Front and rear  lap only seat belts (first offered by Ford in 1955).
- Padded dashboard and sun visors (the padding was advertised as being more absorbent than foam rubber.) The instruments were recessed to minimize injury potential.
- Safety rearview mirror to reduce broken glass if shattered.
The buying public was unresponsive to the Lifeguard package, according to some. Ralph Nader and Joan Claybrook claim that the package was extremely popular. prompting Henry Ford II to say: McNamara is selling safety, but Chevrolet is selling cars.
- Flory, Jr., J. "Kelly" (2008). American Cars, 1946-1959 Every Model Every Year. McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 978-0-7864-3229-5.
- Ford brochure: NEW FORD SEAT BELTS an important feature of Ford Lifeguard Design