LightDM is an X display manager that aims to be light, fast, extensible and multi-desktop. It uses various front-ends to draw login interfaces, so-called Greeters.
Some features include:
- Codebase with few external dependencies
- Standards compliant (PAM, ConsoleKit, etc.)
- Well defined interface between the server and user interface
- Cross-desktop (Greeters can be written in any toolkit)
- Well-defined greeter API allowing multiple GUIs
- Support for all display manager use cases, with plugins where appropriate
LightDM offers at least the same functionality as GDM but it has a simpler code base and does not load any GNOME libraries to work. LightDM is the default display manager for Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and Mythbuntu since 11.10 release, for Lubuntu since 12.04 release, and for Kubuntu beginning with 12.10.
Available Greeters 
See also 
- ^ Light Display Manager, Launchpad.net
- ^ https://translations.launchpad.net/lightdm
- ^ https://translations.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter
- ^ https://translations.launchpad.net/unity-greeter
- ^ LightDM: Contents of COPYING, launchpad.net, retrieved 2012-08-23
- ^ The Light Display Manager (LightDM), retrieved 17 May 2011
- ^ a b c Ubuntu 11.10 To Switch From GDM To LightDM, 12 May 2011, retrieved 18 May 2011
- ^ http://www.mattfischer.com/blog/?p=5
- ^ Ubuntu adopts LightDM, login screens to get more exciting, Geek.com, 12 May 2011, retrieved 18 May 2011
- ^ Ubuntu 11.10 ReleaseNotes, Canonical, retrieved 28 May 2012
- ^ a b "Xubuntu 11.10 Release Notes". Canonical. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- ^ a b Lubuntu 12.04 ReleaseNotes, Canonical, retrieved 14 Jun 2012
- ^ a b https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2012-August/020995.html
- ^ a b LightDM GTK+ Greeter in Launchpad, Launchpad.net, retrieved 2012-12-16
- ^ David Edmundson (2012-07-21), LightDM-KDE 0.2.0, Sharpley.org.uk, retrieved 2012-08-23
- ^ http://static.davidedmundson.co.uk/lightdm_design_rationale.html
- ^ "LightDM-KDE File Archive". KDE. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- ^ a b http://www.elementaryos.org/journal/luna-beta-1-released
- ^ Razor-qt, razorqt-lightdm-greeter, Github.com, retrieved 2012-08-23
- ^ Unity Greeter, Launchpad.net, retrieved 2012-12-16
- ^ https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lightdm-team/crowd-greeter/trunk/view/head:/NEWS
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nm4NpaVXE
- ^ https://launchpad.net/~lightdm-team/+archive/crowd-greeter
- ^ "Status of LXDE Components". LXDE Team. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- ^ LightDM Webkit Greeter, Launchpad.net, retrieved 2012-08-23
External links