Lighthouse Point, Florida
Location of Lighthouse Point in Broward County in State of Florida
|Incorporated (city)||June 13, 1956|
|• Mayor||Fred Schorr|
|• City||2.40 sq mi (6.2 km2)|
|• Land||2.29 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.3 km2) 4.58%|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||4,300/sq mi (1,700/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||33064, 33074|
|Area code(s)||754, 954|
|GNIS feature ID||0285506|
Lighthouse Point is a city in Broward County, Florida, United States. The city was named for the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse, which is located in nearby Hillsboro Beach. As of the 2010 census, the population of Lighthouse Point was 10,344. The city is part of the Miami–Fort Lauderdale–Pompano Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area, which was home to 5,564,635 people at the 2010 census.
Lighthouse Point is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6 km2). 2.29 square miles (6 km2) of it is land and .11 square miles (0 km2) of it (4.58%) is water..
Lighthouse Point is located in northeastern Broward County. It is adjacent to the following municipalities:
To its north:
To its east:
To its west and south:
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,767 people, 5,165 households, and 3,078 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,695.0 per square mile (1,815.4/km²). There were 5,871 housing units at an average density of 2,560.1 per square mile (989.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.05% White (93.5% were Non-Hispanic White,) 0.43% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.79% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.42% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.18% of the population.
There were 5,165 households out of which 19.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.4% were non-families. 33.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.65.
In the city the population was spread out with 16.2% under the age of 18, 3.4% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 30.1% from 45 to 64, and 23.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $53,038, and the median income for a family was $72,418. Males had a median income of $51,897 versus $32,929 for females. The per capita income for the city was $40,839. About 2.6% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, speakers of English as their first language were 89.18%, while 4.64% spoke Spanish as theirs. Other languages spoken as a first language are Italian 1.93%, French 1.22%, German at 1.06%, and Portuguese being the mother tongue of 0.71% of all residents.
Lighthouse Point is part of the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood media market, which is the twelfth largest radio market and the seventeenth largest television market in the United States. Its primary daily newspapers are the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and The Miami Herald, and their Spanish-language counterparts El Sentinel and El Nuevo Herald.
Broward County Public Schools serves the community.
- Mike Phipps, College Football Hall of Fame member
- Nevin Shapiro, University of Miami football booster who is currently imprisoned for orchestrating a $930 million Ponzi scheme.
- John Spadavecchia, poker player.
- "Florida by Place. Population, Housing, Area, and Density: 2000". US Census Bureau. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Demographics of Lighthouse Point, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "MLA Data Center results for Lighthouse Point, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- "Top 50 Radio Markets Ranked By Metro 12+ Population, Spring 2005". Northwestern University Media Management Center. Archived from the original on 2007-08-07. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- "Top 50 TV markets ranked by households". Northwestern University Media Management Center. Archived from the original on 2007-08-07. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- "Our History." North Broward Preparatory School. Retrieved on 26 February 2012.
- City of Lighthouse Point official website