Lightower Fiber Networks
|Area served||Northeast US, Illinois, London, Toronto|
|Key people||Rob Shanahan – President and Chief Executive Officer
Eric Sandman - Chief Financial Officer
Dave Mayer – General Counsel
Jason Campbell - Chief Operating Officer
Phillip Olivero – Chief Technology Officer
The company's network spans the Northeast United States including Illinois, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington, DC, New Hampshire, in addition to international locations in Toronto and London. The network comprises over 20,000 route miles of fiber.
Lightower’s products include network and video transport, alternative access, nationwide long haul services, dark fiber, Ethernet, and cloud computing services. Lightower has built out access to over 7,500 service locations throughout the Northeast.
Customers include Fortune 500 businesses, enterprise, carriers, financial services, media, healthcare, education, and government.
The company was acquired by Berkshire Partners in December 2012 when it also acquired Sidera Networks and announced plans to merge them under the Lightower brand. Its previous owners were M/C Partners and Pamlico Capital (the investing unit of Wachovia before its takeover by Wells Fargo. Those two companies had bought it from National Grid in 2007.
- Dark Fiber
- Cloud Computing
- Nationwide Long Haul
- Video Transport
- Managed Private Optical Networks (MPON)
- Wireless Backhaul (FTTT)
- Ultra-Low Latency Solutions
- Over 20,000 route miles of fiber
- Over 650,000 fiber miles
- Providing access to over 7,500 service locations
- Network within Northeast region (CT, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, IL, ME, VA, VT, Washington DC) along with London and Toronto
- Owns 18 Carrier Class Colocation facilities- including Marlborough, Worcester, Providence & New York City (60 Hudson Street) and access to all major facilities in the Northeast
- 7 Acquisitions in past three years
- 550 Employees
Mergers and acquisitions
- National Grid Wireless- Acquisition (NEESCom)
- Keyspan Communications - Acquisition
- Hudson Valley DataNet - Acquisition 
- Veroxity Technology Partners - Acquisition 
- Lexent Metro Connect New York City based neutral telecommunications provider that owns, operates, builds and maintains its own dark fiber network in New York, Northern New Jersey, and surrounding areas. - Acquisition 
- Open Access, Inc. - Acquisition 
- Sidera Networks - Merger 
- Lee, Justin (May 14, 2012). "Fiber Carrier Lightower Expands Network and Data Center in Providence". Web Host Industry Review. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- "Lightower to Add More New Jersey Metro Depth". Telecom Ramblings. May 7, 2012. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- Seiffert, Don (April 11, 2013). "Lightower Completes $2B Merger with Sidera". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Lightower Announces Major Expansions of Fiber Network in Central and Northern New Jersey". A-Team Group. June 5, 2012. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- "Expansions On the Menu for Sidera, Lightower, Zayo, Level 3". Telecom Ramblings. May 14, 2012. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Boxborough's Lightower Opens N.J. Office". Worcester Business Journal Online. March 6, 2012. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- Turner, Nick (2012-12-27). "Berkshire to Buy Lightower, Sidera for $2 Billion". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2013-05-26.
- "National Grid Wireless Changes Name to Lightower". Red Orbit. August 16, 2007. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Lightower Fiber Acquires DataNet Communications Group and KeySpan Communications...". Reuters. March 6, 2008. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Fiber clumps up: Lightower buying Veroxity". Mass High Tech. May 25, 2010. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Lexent Metro Acquired by Lightower Fiber". Data Center Knowledge. September 14, 2010. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Lightower Fiber Networks to acquire Open Access Inc.". Lightwave Online. December 13, 2010. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- Wong, Wailin (April 11, 2013). "Lightower, Sidera Merger Forms Large Fiber-Optic Network". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Lightower Picks Ciena for 100G". 11 January 2012.
- "Lightower’s Ultra-Low Latency Network Provides Fastest Networking to Key Financial Centers". 3 November 2011.
- "Lightower Announces New Network Expansion Projects in New York Metro and Southern Connecticut". 21 June 2011.
- ”Lightower Completes Acquisition of Open Access Inc.” 1 April 2011.
- ”Lightower Acquires Veroxity Technology”. 25 May 2010.