Ligonier Ministries is a Reformed international Christian organization headquartered in the greater Orlando, Florida area. Founded by R. C. Sproul in the Ligonier Valley, Pennsylvania outside of Pittsburgh over forty years ago, Ligonier's stated purpose is "to awaken as many people as possible to the holiness of God by proclaiming, teaching, and defending God’s holiness in all its fullness." Sproul and Ligonier are particularly known for their teaching of reformed theology, of which Calvinism is an important facet.
Today, they produce the Renewing Your Mind radio broadcasts, The Reformation Study Bible (ESV), Tabletalk magazine, as well as publish many books by Dr. Sproul and other contemporary authors and theologians through the Reformation Trust Publishing imprint. The ministry also offers numerous teaching series, as well as offering undergraduate degrees and a Doctor of Ministry and distance learning programs through Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies. Ligonier hosts national, regional, and pastors conferences annually and sells more than 3,000 unique resources.
- 1 History
- 2 Primary Activities
- 3 Statement of Belief
- 4 External links
- 5 References
Four decades of proclaiming the holiness of God:
1970's: The Ligonier Valley Study Center
- A group of Christian leaders approached Dr. Sproul with the intent of establishing a study center in Ligonier Valley, Pennsylvania where lay people could receive the benefits of seminary-level teaching without having to attend seminary.
- Christians from all over the United States attend the Ligonier Valley Study Center to hear Dr. Sproul and other leading evangelical scholars.
- Recording lectures makes it possible for students who cannot attend the study center to benefit from the ministry.
Publication of Tabletalk study magazine begins.
1980's: Ligonier Ministries Moves to Orlando, Florida
- The Holiness of God and Chosen By God are published, further solidifying Dr. Sproul's reputation as a trustworthy teacher and leader in the Christian community.
- Dr. Don Kistler establishes Soli Deo Gloria (SDG), dedicated to publishing Puritan works, eventually reprinting more than 250 titles, some of which have not been published for 400 years. Eventually, SDG publications number over 750,000 volumes around the world.
- Regional and national conferences begin, providing an opportunity for students to gather and learn together.
1990's: National Radio Outreach Begins
- Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast with Dr. R.C. Sproul begins to provide sound, in-depth teaching to those who might otherwise never receive it.
2000's: Among Several New Initiatives, Ligonier Academy Is Launched
- Ligonier establishes a music division to promote the sense of reverence and gravitas found in more classical forms of Christian worship.
- Soli Deo Gloria (SDG) becomes a division of Ligonier Ministries.
- Ligonier's Reformation Trust Publishing launches to establish a new imprint committed to publishing theologically solid books with high-quality materials; early releases include A Taste of Heaven, The Lightlings and Dr. Steven Lawson’s Foundations of Grace.
- Ligonier asks Reformation Heritage Books and Dr. Joel Beeke to manage Soli Deo Gloria Publications and later invites that publisher to publish and distribute the Puritan titles.
- The ministry in the fall of 2008 announces "Here We Stand", their first ever capital campaign. This $15.6 million effort is designed to provide for the infrastructure for the nascent Ligonier Academy and future ministry headquarters in Sanford, Fla.
- In 2009, Dr. Sproul establishes Ligonier Academy of Biblical & Theological Studies to provide deeper educational opportunities for young adults, laypeople, and pastors.
- Ligonier now offers more than 5,000 resources available for purchase, including:
- -360 teaching series on apologetics, biblical studies, philosophy, ethics, Christian theology and discipleship in video and audio formats.
- -500+ books authored by more than 100 different teachers and authors.
- -60+ books written by Dr. Sproul.
- Renewing Your Mind broadcasts are available through 235 radio outlets in the United States to an audience of 2.5 million people per week and to countless others throughout the world via shortwave radio generating 25,000 first-time contacts each year.
- Their catalog and online store offer more than 400 books from more than 100 classic and modern authors. Topics include church history, Christian living, worldview and culture, biblical studies, and theology.
- More than 100,000 people have attended their regional, national and pastors conferences to fellowship with other believers and explore biblical truths of a particular biblical theme or issue.
- More than 40 of Dr. Sproul’s books are translated into various languages.
- Ligonier distribute more than 1,000,000 resources annually, including 800,000 issues of Tabletalk.
- Ligonier receives over 95,000 unique visits to their website each month.
- Ligonier is thankful for the monthly financial support of more than 21,000 Ministry Partner.
- Ligonier offers a freely available 24-hour online radio station called RefNet through an internet browser or iPhone app.
Ligonier's main activities include:
- Producing Renewing Your Mind, a daily radio and Internet broadcast wherein Sproul teaches systematic theology, reformed theology, and the Bible
- Publishing a monthly magazine called Tabletalk
- Selling and distributing audiobook, video and print materials by Sproul, John Gerstner, and others
- Publishing The Reformation Study Bible
- Holding conferences in Orlando and, in smaller form, elsewhere around the United States and Canada.
Statement of Belief
Ligonier's Statement of Faith is as follows:
God and Man We believe in one God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The triune God has created man in His own image and has called him to manifest and reflect holiness through obedience to His commandments. Because man has woefully fallen in this responsibility and entered into a state of moral corruption, he has subsequently become estranged from his Creator.
Jesus Christ Because of a profound love for His creation, God has initiated a plan of redemption which He has accomplished on behalf of His people in the realm of temporal history. The zenith of this redemption is located in the historical incarnation of God in the person of Jesus of Nazareth. We confess Jesus to be the Christ of Old Testament prophecy, being at the same time fully God and fully man. Jesus, through His substitutionary atoning death and bodily resurrection, has provided the meritorious basis of our justification, which, by God's grace, we receive by faith alone.
The Holy Spirit Proceeding from the Father and the Son, the Holy Spirit dwells in the hearts of believers, effecting their regeneration and operating in their sanctification. The same Holy Spirit has been given to the people of God to empower them for the service of bearing witness to the kingdom of God. The Holy Spirit brings His people together to form a corporate community of believers. We believe that Christ has established a visible church which is called to live in the power of the Holy Spirit under the regulation of the authority of Holy Scripture, exercising discipline, administering the sacraments, and preaching the Gospel of Christ.
The Bible We believe that the Bible, in its entirety, is divine revelation, and we submit to the authority of Holy Scripture, acknowledging it to be inerrantly inspired by God and carrying the full weight of His authority.
We support the work of Christian organizations and institutions that confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We are committed to the implementation of the social and cultural implications of God's commandments for the well-being of man and his environment. We believe our faith should be visible in concrete forms and models of personal and social behavior. We seek to be faithful disciples of Christ, enduring in love and obedience until He comes again to consummate His kingdom.
You can find this at their official website:
- , Statement of Faith
- Ligonier Ministries, official website
- Parsons, Burk. "Living Life Coram Deo, Before The Face Of God". Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Chris Larson (July 26, 2012). "Announcing RefNet: 24-hour Christian Internet Radio".