Ligustrum lucidum (Chinese privet, glossy privet or broad-leaf privet) is a species of flowering plant, a privet (Ligustrum genus) in the olive family Oleaceae, native to the southern half of China. The Latin lucidum means bright or shiny, and refers to the glossy leaves.
It is a small evergreen tree growing to 10 m (33 ft) tall and broad. The leaves are opposite, glossy dark green, 6–17 centimetres (2.4–6.7 in) long and 3–8 centimetres (1.2–3.1 in) broad. The flowers are similar to other privets, white or near white, borne in panicles, and unpleasantly pungent.
The plant is often used as an ornamental tree, sometimes in variegated forms. However it has become an invasive species in some areas where it has been introduced, such as urban areas in the southeastern United States. It is classed as a noxious weed in New South Wales, Australia and is similarly listed in New Zealand's National Pest Plant Accord.
- Ligustrum lucidum is also known to the West as the "Wax Tree Privet".
- The seeds are known as Nu Zhen Zi (female chastity seed) in traditional Chinese medicine and are believed to nourish Liver and Kidney yin and jing in the treatment of tinnitus (ringing in the ears), vertigo (dizziness), premature graying of the hair, and soreness/weakness of the lower back and knees. Through their function of nourishing the Liver, they are also used in the treatment of disorders of the eye involving red or dry eyes, blurred vision, and pain. The active effects are believed to come from the chemical constituents of the seeds, oleanolic acid, nuzhenide, and ligustroside. In studies of lab animals, the herb extract has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, antihyperlipidemic, and hepatoprotective properties. Chen, John (2012). Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology. City of Industry, CA: Art of Medicine Press, Inc. p. 962-963. ISBN 0974063509.
- It is also used to increase the of the body.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Ligustrum lucidum|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ligustrum lucidum.|
- Weed profile: Privet, New South Wales Department of Primary Industries
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Ligustrum lucidum". Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Ligustrum lucidum 'Excelsum Superbum'". Retrieved 21 May 2013.