Official US Promo Cover
|Single by Aly & AJ|
|from the album Insomniatic|
|Released||March 18, 2008|
|Length||2:31 (album version)
2:25 (remix version)
|Writer(s)||Aly Michalka, AJ Michalka, Timothy A. James, Antonina Armato|
|Aly & AJ main singles chronology|
"Like Whoa" is a song by American pop duo Aly & AJ, written and recorded by the duo for their second studio album, Insomniatic. It is the second and final single from the album, released in 2008. The single release in the UK was cancelled for unknown reasons. It was their final single to be released before changing their name to 78violet and depart from Hollywood Records.
Song information and reception
The song, along with "Bullseye", "Silence", and "Potential Breakup Song", were released to UK radio stations to promote Insomniatic, and "Like Whoa" later became the official next single. It was picked by a massive 95% of Disney voters.
"Like Whoa" is a song about the thrill feeling of being in a new relationship.
The album version of the song was used in the Disney Channel Original Movie, Minutemen, and can also be heard playing during High School Musical 3: Senior Year. The remix of the song was made digitally available on March 18, 2008 on iTunes, alongside an acoustic version and interview. Aside from the release on iTunes, the song has only been played on Radio Disney stations throughout the United States during January and February.
An acoustic version, performed on Radio Disney, is available on the "Like Whoa" EP released in March 2008.
The song is also a playable track on Band Hero.
"Like Whoa" is a playable track in The Smurfs Dance Party.
The song mainly got positive comments on album reviews. UMusic describes the song: "Like Whoa" starts with soft cooing and transitions into a high energy danceable chorus."
Todd Sterling, from Wal-Mart, praises the song: ""Like Whoa," a penetrating, bass driven cut compares the sensation of falling in love with a rollercoaster ride. The song, lathered in slippery keyboard effects and programmed drums, is a melodically layered chunk of pop candy."
Track listings and formats
- iTunes EP
|1.||"Like Whoa" (Remix Version)||2:29|
|2.||"Like Whoa" (Acoustic Version)||2:42|
|3.||"Radio Disney Exclusive Interview"||2:07|
- 2 Track US Promo
|1.||"Like Whoa" (Album Version)||2:31|
|2.||"Like Whoa" (Remix Version)||2:29|
On December 3, 2007, Aly & AJ announced, via a blog on their MySpace, that the video for "Like Whoa" would be shot during the same week. The girls also stated that they shot the video with director Scott Speer and that "it's very different from what we've already done". Pictures from the shoot of the music video had leaked onto the internet on December 15, 2007, showing them in four different sets, Aly jumping on the trampoline, both of them on a sofa and similar scenes with microphones as in the music video of "Potential Breakup Song" amongst others.
The video premiered on YouTube on January 18, 2008. Disney Channel first aired the music video with footage of the original movie, Minutemen, on January 19, 2008 to promote the film. The video, without the footage from Minutemen and with new scenes, was released on January 31, 2008 on the Hollywood Records YouTube channel. When Aly & AJ were backstage at the Littlest Pet Shop event in 2008, a new version of the "Like Whoa" video, which combines scenes from both the previous two videos, as well as new scenes, premiered.
The video has been released to Canada's MuchMusic, Yahoo! and it also has been shown on MTV Asia, reaching #2 on the Chart Attack. To date, the video has garnered, on combined Hollywood Record's account and Aly & AJ's account, over 28 million views.
Charts and Certifications
As of February 27, 2008, the album version has logged over 558,084 digital downloads in the United States, reaching a peak position of number sixty-three (#63) on the Billboard Hot 100, enough to earn a Gold certification. The song also debuted at number sixty-six (#66) on the Canadian Hot 100, already peaking higher than preceding single "Potential Breakup Song" (at #72). Upon release of the remix (single) version, the track re-entered the Hot 100 at #92 after falling off the week before its release.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||66|
|US Billboard Hot 100||63|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||47|
|United Kingdom (Official Charts Company)||165|
- Ward (2008-01-24). "Like Whoa... It's Aly & AJ's New Single!". Aly & AJ: Official UK Site.
- "December 2nd, 2007". Tommy2.net. 2007-12-02.
- "Like Whoa + Radio Disney Exclusive Interview (Acoustic Version) - EP". iTunes. 2008-03-18.
- "Bio". UMusic.ca. 2008-03-24.
- "Insomniatic". Wal-Mart Downloads. 2008-03-20.
- Logan Leasure (2007-07-05). "Aly & AJ - Insomniatic Review". Jesus Freak Hideout.com.
- Alyson Michalka (2007-12-15). (Must go to blog.) "So much GREAT news!". MySpace.
- "Aly & AJ - Like Whoa (Official Minutemen music video HQ)". YouTube. 2008-04-08.
- "Aly & AJ - Like Whoa (Official HQ)". YouTube. 2008-01-31.
- "Aly & AJ Video - Littlest Pet Shop Backstage with Aly & AJ". Hasbro. 2009-02-21.
- "Aly & AJ - Like Whoa Official Video". YouTube. 2008-01-31.
- "Aly & AJ Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Aly & AJ.
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing ~ 21st April 2008 ~ Issue #947" ARIA Top 100 Singles. National Library of Australia.
- "Aly & AJ Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Aly & AJ.
- "Aly & AJ Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Aly & AJ.
- "CHART LOG UK: NEW ENTRIES UPDATE". Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2008-10-26.