||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (January 2010)|
|Birth name||Roland Powell|
|Born||April 3, 1977 (age 36) 7
Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.
|Medium||Stand-up, film, television, television personality|
|Years active||2001 - present|
|Notable works and roles||Guy Code
Ain't That America
Lil Duval (born Roland Powell; 1977) is an American stand-up comedian. In 2005, he was a semifinalist on BET's comedy competition series Coming to the Stage. Duval is a series regular to the MTV2 shows Guy Code and Hip Hop Squares. Beginning in July 2013, he hosts the viral video show Ain't That America on MTV2.
Life and career
Born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida, Powell adopted the stage name "Lil Duval" to pay homage to his birthplace, Duval County, Florida. After graduating from First Coast High School, Powell relocated to Atlanta, Georgia where he started working in the comedic circles, performing stand-up at the Atlanta staple, Uptown Comedy Corner, which led him to become a regular performer.
After performing at the Oakland Bay Area Competition in 2001, Powell was approached by Cedric the Entertainer’s road manager and was invited to perform on the Budweiser tour featuring Cedric and four additional comedians. Powell was then invited by Cedric to perform on his television special Cedric the Entertainer: Starting Lineup.
In 2003, he released the underground comedy DVD Dat Boy Funny, which also featured several upcoming comedians featuring colorful sketch pieces and parodies mocking events in pop culture. The following year, Powell became a regular featured performer on three seasons of BET’s ComicView. Powell released his second DVD Put Your Hands on Me in 2005. That same year he appeared in Three 6 Mafia's independent film, Choices II: The Setup, as well as being featured on various skits of the film's soundtrack.
Music Video appearances
In addition to stand-up comedy, Powell also writes for Ozone magazine. He has also appeared in several music videos including:
- "Rubberband Man" by T.I.
- "24's" by T.I.
- "Be Easy" by T.I.
- "Whatever You Like" by T.I.
- "What Up, What's Haapnin' by T.I.
- "No Matter What" by T.I.
- "That's Right" by Big Kuntry King
- "Ain't I" by Yung L.A.
- "It's Goin' Down" by Yung Joc
- "Coffee Shop" by Yung Joc
- "Shawty" by Plies
- "My President" by Young Jeezy
- "I'm On 2.0" by Trae Tha Truth
- "Lookin' Boy" by Hot Stylz's
- "Ain't No Way Around It (Remix)" by DJ Drama
- FDB by Young Dro
- BET ComicView (2013 & 2005)
- All Star Comedy Jam - Live from Orlando (2012)
- Cedric the Entertainer: Starting Lineup (2002)
- Ali Lerman, "Ain't That America With Lil Duval is Straight Up Bussin!, OC Weekly, July 26, 2013.
- Tom Szaroleta, "Jacksonville's own Lil Duval making his mark on MTV2", The Florida Times-Union, August 6, 2013.