|Born||Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson
5 April 1989
Esher, Surrey, England
Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson (born 5 April 1989), better known by her stage name Lily James, is an English actress. She is best known for her role as Lady Rose MacClare in the period drama Downton Abbey.
James began her professional acting career as Ethel Brown in the 2010 BBC production of Just William. In 2011 and 2012, she earned warm reviews in several London theatre productions. She began to appear in Hollywood films in 2012, with roles in Wrath of the Titans and Fast Girls, and was seen in further television roles. She has been cast to star in the title role of the 2015 Disney film Cinderella.
James was born in Esher, Surrey. She began her education at Arts Educational School in Tring and subsequently went on to study acting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, graduating in 2010.
In 2011, James played Taylor in Vernon God Little at the Young Vic Theatre in Tanya Ronder's stage adaptation of the novel Vernon God Little directed by Rufus Norris, Nina in a modern adaptation of The Seagull at Southwark Playhouse, and Desdemona in Daniel Evans production of Othello at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, alongside Dominic West and Clarke Peters. Quentin Letts wrote in The Daily Mail: "We may have a new star actress on our hands. ... [S]he left drama school only last year, yet she practically sweeps all before her as Desdemona in this Othello. Poise, diction, allure – she has them all. ... Her character’s love affair with a much older husband is completely believable". In 2012, James played the role of Katrina in Play House and Marijka in Definitely the Bahamas in a double bill written and directed by Martin Crimp at the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond, London as part of the theatre's fortieth anniversary. Charles Spencer of The Telegraph wrote that "it is performed with a persuasive mixture of mischief and deeper feeling by Obi Abili and Lily James, the latter combining a mixture of neuroticism and glowing sexual allure that proves extraordinarily potent."
Also in 2012, James played the role of Korrina in Warner Brothers' the Wrath of the Titans and starred in Fast Girls, directed by Noel Clarke, centered around a group of young female athletes competing in the World Championships. Her television credits include Ethel Brown in the 2010 BBC production of Richmal Crompton's Just William, Poppy in the fourth season of ITV's Secret Diary of a Call Girl (2011), and the rebellious Lady Rose in the last episode of series three, and in the fourth and fifth seasons of popular British series Downton Abbey.
James has been cast as the title character in a live-action Disney film version of Cinderella. The film is expected to be released on 13 March 2015. The movie poster features James as Cinderella, photographed by Annie Leibovitz, in the blue gown that she wears to the ball, and James's photograph in costume appears in the December issue of Vogue.
|2012||Wrath of the Titans||Korrina|
|2012||Fast Girls||Lisa Temple|
|2015||Untitled John Wells project||Filming|
|2015||Pride and Prejudice and Zombies||Filming|
|2010||Just William||Ethel Brown||4 episodes|
|2011||Secret Diary of a Call Girl||Poppy||8 episodes|
|2012–present||Downton Abbey||Lady Rose McClare||20 episodes|
- "The Tatler List". Tatler.
- Guildhall Graduates 2009–10
- Young Vic
- Letts, Quentin. "A star is born as newcomer takes Desdemona to The Wire"], The Daily Mail, 20 September 2011, accessed 19 November 2014
- Spencer, Charles. "Play House/Definitely the Bahamas, Orange Tree Theatre, Richmond, review", The Daily Telegraph, 19 March 2012, accessed 19 November 2014
- "Ones to Watch in 2011". Female First.
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Star is New Cinderella Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "The New Trailer, Poster and Photos for Disney’s Cinderella!", ComingSoon.net, 19 November 2014
- Camhi, Leslie. "What Would Cinderella Wear? Costuming Lily James and Cate Blanchett in Kenneth Branagh’s Forthcoming Film", Vogue, November 19, 2014
- Butlin, James (31 December 2010). "Actresses To Watch In 2011".
- Joseph, Claudia (18 December 2010). "Just William's women: Be nice to them – or they'll scream and scream till they're sick!".
- Billington, Michael (8 February 2011). "Vernon God Little – review".
- "Hot, Young and British". 1 March 2011.