1957 (age 57)
|Alma mater||Carleton College|
|Genre||Thriller, Techno-thriller, Adventure|
|Notable works||Agent Pendergast series, Jeremy Logan series|
Lincoln Child (born 1957) is an author of multiple techno-thriller and horror novels. Though he is most well-known for his collaborations with Douglas Preston (including the Agent Pendergast series and the Gideon Crew series, among others), he has also written five solo novels, including the Jeremy Logan series. Many of the collaborative novels have become bestsellers, and their first novel together, Relic, was adapted into a feature film. Child and Preston's books are notable for their thorough research.
Life and career
Soon afterward, in 1979, he secured a job as an editorial assistant at St. Martin's Press. By 1984, Child had become full editor. While in this position, he edited hundreds of books, most titles being American and English fiction.
In 1987, after founding the company's mass-market horror division, Child left the St. Martin's Press to become a Systems Analyst at MetLife. Child's first novel (co-written with Preston), Relic, was published in 1995. He left the company a few years later to write full-time.
In 2002, Child began his solo career with the debut novel Utopia. He has since written Death Match in 2004, Deep Storm in 2007, Terminal Freeze in 2009, and The Third Gate in 2012. Utopia, Deep Storm, and Terminal Freeze all went on to become New York Times best sellers. Initially, Child's fictional universe was unique from his collaborations with Preston (and even from Preston's own solo novels) in that each of his works was a stand-alone novel, introducing a new set of characters each time. However, with Terminal Freeze, Child introduced the character of Dr. Jeremy Logan, a Yale professor of medieval history, who subsequently returns in The Third Gate.
Jeremy Logan series
Collaborations with Douglas Preston
Agent Pendergast series
- Relic (1995)
- Reliquary (1997)
- The Cabinet of Curiosities (2002)
- Still Life with Crows (2003)
- Diogenes Trilogy
- The Wheel of Darkness (2007)
- Cemetery Dance (2009)
- Helen Trilogy
- White Fire (2013)
- Blue Labyrinth (2014)
Gideon Crew series
- "Gone Fishing" from Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night (2006)
- "Extraction" [eBook] (2012)
- "Gaslighted: Slappy the Ventriloquist Dummy vs. Aloysius Pendergast" [eBook] (2014) 
- Aloysius Pendergast, main fictional character in one series of books
- Vincent D'Agosta, another character from Child's novels
- Rohan, Virginia. "THE MONSTER ON THE DOODLE PAD – LINCOLN CHILD'S `THE RELIC' IS THE PRODUCT", The Record (Bergen County), 28 January 1997. Accessed 5 December 2007. "When Lincoln Child was just a lad, his mother handed him a big black notebook. First, he doodled in the front. Then, the Morristown novelist recalls, 'I turned to the back, and I drew something so frightening I could never look at it again.'"
- "Grand Central in New Deal with Preston/Child". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz LLC. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2010.
- "The Lost Island". hachettebookgroup.com. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- The Official Douglas Preston – Lincoln Child Web Site
- Lincoln Child Website
- Lincoln Child at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database