Lincoln County, West Virginia
|Lincoln County, West Virginia|
The Lincoln County Courthouse in Hamlin in 2007
Location in the state of West Virginia
West Virginia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1867|
|Named for||Abraham Lincoln|
|• Total||439 sq mi (1,137 km2)|
|• Land||437 sq mi (1,132 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4 km2), 0.4%|
|• Density||52/sq mi (20/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Jesse, John, David, William, and Moses McComas were the first English settlers in what is now Lincoln County. They cultivated 20 acres (81,000 m2) of corn, the first ever grown in the area, in 1799. Later that year, they returned to eastern Virginia to get their families. Their families were initially left behind because it was not known if there were any hostile Native Americans in the area, or if the soil would be suitable for cultivation. John Lucas, William Hinch, and John Johnson soon joined the McComas' in the county. They built cabins in the county around 1800.
- U.S. Highway 119
- West Virginia Route 3
- West Virginia Route 10
- West Virginia Route 34
- West Virginia Route 37
- West Virginia Route 214
- Putnam County (north)
- Kanawha County (northeast)
- Boone County (southeast)
- Logan County (south)
- Mingo County (southwest)
- Wayne County (west)
- Cabell County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,108 people, 8,664 households, and 6,532 families residing in the county. The population density was 50 people per square mile (20/km²). There were 9,846 housing units at an average density of 22 per square mile (9/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 99.04% White, 0.06% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.06% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. 0.55% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 8,664 households out of which 33.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.40% were married couples living together, 10.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.60% were non-families. 22.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.60% under the age of 18, 9.30% from 18 to 24, 29.10% from 25 to 44, 24.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $22,662, and the median income for a family was $28,297. Males had a median income of $30,810 versus $18,270 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,073. About 22.80% of families and 27.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.60% of those under age 18 and 20.80% of those age 65 or over.
- Charles "Chuck" Yeager (b. 1923) — U.S. Air Force test pilot and retired brigadier general, most notable as the first man to break the sound barrier (1948)
- Big Ugly Wildlife Management Area
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lincoln County, West Virginia
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Cabell County||Putnam County||Kanawha County|
|Mingo County||Logan County||Boone County|