|Birth name||Lincoln Goines|
|Genres||Jazz fusion, jazz, Latin music|
|Associated acts||Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz, Michel Camilo|
A mainstay of the New York City jazz/Latin/studio scene since the early 1980s and noted for his versatility and fluid style, Goines' extensive career includes performance credits as sideman to: Sonny Rollins, Michael Brecker, Mike Stern, & Carly Simon. He is also an educator and author, having written “Funkifying The Clave: Afro-Cuban Grooves for Bass and Drums” with drummer Robby Ameen/ Alfred Publishing 1996.
Goines was initially influenced by the rock music of his era including Jimi Hendrix and Cream. He made the switch to jazz upon hearing John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” and Miles Davis’ “Bitches Brew”.
Goines attended high school in Vancouver, Canada where he studied double bass with a former principal bassist of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, Sydney Keats. During this period of his development he also had lessons with Eddie Gómez and Gary Karr but is still considered to be primarily self-taught. Goines calls his method of learning “Trial by Fire” which he defines as “taking the gig and learning on the fly to survive”.
Following the lead of bass guitarist Steve Swallow, Goines switched his primary focus to the electric bass in the mid 1970's. He relocated from the west coast to New York City in 1977 where he began studying Latin music with bassists Joe Santiago and Andy Gonzalez, and the rhythms of Brazil with his frequent bandmate, the Brazilian master percussionist Portinho.
Goines' performance/touring credits include three decades as bassist for Latin jazz flutist and bandleader Dave Valentin, and a 20 year tenure with guitarist Mike Stern.
In 1986 Goines joined the faculty at The Collective in New York City and in 2008 became an Associate Professor of Bass at the Berklee College of Music. He currently holds both positions.
- Dave Valentin / Land of the Third Eye / Arista/ 1980
- Tania Maria / Come with Me / Concord Jazz/ 1983
- Dizzy Gillespie / New Faces / GRP/1984
- Paquito D'Rivera / Why Not / CBS/ 1984
- Bob Mintzer Big Band / Incredible Journey / DMP/ 1985
- Leni Stern / Secrets / Enja/ 1988
- Michel Camilo / Michel Camilo / CBS/ 1988
- Dave Valentin / Live at the Blue Note / GRP/ 1988
- Mike Stern / Odds or Evens / Atlantic/ 1991
- Bob Berg / In the Shadows / Denon/ 1990
- Mike Stern / Play / Atlantic/ 1999
- Eliane Elias / A Long Story / Blue Note 1991
- Dave Samuels / Del Sol / GRP/ 1993
- Wayne Krantz / Long to be Loose / Enja/ 1993
- Wayne Krantz / 2 Drink Minimum / Enja/ 1995
- Jeff Golub / Naked City / Blue Moon/ 1996
- Kim Plainfield and Lincoln Goines / Night and Day / EFA / Shiosai/ 2001
- Carly Simon / This Kind Of Love / Hear Music (Starbucks) / 2008
- Portinho Trio / Vino do Porto / MCG Jazz / 2008
- Mike Stern / Big Neighborhood / Heads Up / 2009
- Robby Ameen / Days in the Life / 2 & 4 / 2009
- Lincoln Goines Official Website