Lincoln Square Synagogue
The Lincoln Square Synagogue is located at 180 Amsterdam Avenue at the corner of West 68th Street in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City Founded in 1965, the physical location of the congregation has changed several times. The most recent move took place in January 2013. The new building is the largest synagogue to be built in New York City in over 50 years. The current senior Rabbi is Rabbi Shaul Robinson.
The Lincoln Square Synagogue was founded as a congregation in 1964 by Rabbi Shlomo Riskin. In the late 1960s, the first Orthodox Jewish women's tefillah (prayer) group was created, on the holiday of Simhat Torah at Lincoln Square Synagogue.
The travertine building it formerly occupied was built in 1970, and was designed by the firm of Hausman & Rosemberg. The synagogue moved to a new building designed by Cetra/Ruddy at 180 Amsterdam Avenue at West 68th Street in mid-January 2013.
Rabbi Shaul Robinson
Rabbi Shaul Robinson is currently the senior rabbi at Lincoln Square Synagogue, which is affiliated with Modern Orthodox Judaism. Robinson has held the position since September 1, 2005. He is credited with setting up and directing the first ever "Department for Professional Rabbinic Development" in the United Kingdom.
Cantor Sherwood Goffin
Cantor Sherwood Goffin has served the synagogue since its founding in 1965. Cantor Goffin has been only Principal of the Lincoln Square Synagogue Feldman Hebrew School since 1965. He obtained "Cantor for Life" tenure in 1986. Cantor Goffin currently works with Cantor Yaakov Lemmer.
- Dunlap, David W. From Abyssinian to Zion. (2004) New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-12543-7, p.130
- "Women's Tefillah Movement | Jewish Women's Archive". Jwa.org. March 1, 2009. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- White, Norval & Willensky, Elliot (2000). AIA Guide to New York City (4th ed.). New York: Three Rivers Press. ISBN 978-0-8129-3107-5., p.323
- Gardner, James. "Lincoln Square’s new shul looks nothing especially synagogue-like" The Real Deal (February 24, 2012)
- Landowne, Morton. "Entering Lincoln Square’s Second Temple Period" The Jewish Week (January 15, 2013)
- Staff. "Giant Lincoln Square Synagogue a go" The Real Deal (May 11, 2007)
- Rosenblat, Gary. "If You Build It, Will They Come?" The Jewish Week (January 2, 2013)
- Meet Our Clergy, Lincoln Square Synagogue, 2013, retrieved January 9, 2014
- Carol Brzozowski (July 6, 1991). "Boca Raton Synagogue Chooses New Rabbi". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Foderaro, Lisa W. "As a Girl, Kagen Tested the Boundaries of Her Faith" New York Times (May 12, 2010)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lincoln Square Synagogue.|