May 22, 1959 |
New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.
Linda Emond (born May 22, 1959) is an American stage, film and television actress. Emond recerved Tony Award nominations for her performances in Life (x) 3 (2003), Death of a Salesman (2012) and Cabaret (2014).
Life and career
Emond was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey. She graduated with a BA in Theatre Arts from California State University, Fullerton in 1982. She earned an MFA from the Professional Actor Training Program at the University of Washington, Seattle.
Emond appeared in the Broadway productions of the musical 1776 (1997) as Abigail Adams, and in Yasmina Reza's play Life x 3 (2003), for which she was nominated for the 2003 Tony Award as Best Featured Actress in a Play. She starred as Linda Loman in the 2012 Broadway revival of Death of a Salesman, opposite Philip Seymour Hoffman.
She debuted on the New York stage in the Off-Broadway play Nine Armenians in 1996 at the Manhattan Theatre Club for which she received a Drama Desk Award nomination. She was cast as "Elaine" in Craig Lucas's The Dying Gaul at the Vineyard Theater in 1998.
She has performed in Tony Kushner's Homebody/Kabul in three separate productions, the first at the New York Theatre Workshop in 2001, receiving a nomination for a Drama Desk Award as Outstanding Featured Actress, and winning both the Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Actress and the 2002 Obie Award for Performance. She appeared in the same play at the Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles and at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 2004.
In 2011, she appeared off-Broadway in The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures.
In regional theatre, Emond has performed at Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago in David Hare's The Secret Rapture in 1990 and at the Williamstown Theatre Festival in The Cherry Orchard (2004) and A.R. Gurney's Far East (1998). 
Emond's film and television roles include Simone Beck in Julie & Julia (2009), Georgia O'Keeffe (2009) a made-for-television Lifetime film, and as Abigail Adams in American Experience: John and Abigail Adams for PBS. In 2009 she played Mary Ann McCray in the Hallmark Hall of Fame television presentation of A Dog Named Christmas. She has made appearances on such New York-based television series as Gossip Girl, Law & Order, Elementary and The Good Wife.
|1993||I Can Make You Love Me||Penny||Television film|
|2001||Almost Salinas||Nina Ellington|
|2002||A Gentleman's Game||Meredith Price|
|2002||City by the Sea||Margery|
|2005||The Dying Gaul||Dr. Foss|
|2005||North Country||Leslie Conlin|
|2007||Across the Universe||Mrs. Carrigan|
|2009||The Missing Person||Mrs. Fullmer|
|2009||Julie & Julia||Simone Beck|
|2009||Georgia O'Keeffe||Beck Strand||Television film|
|2009||A Dog Named Christmas||Mary Ann McCray||Television film|
|2011||A Bird of the Air||Margie|
|2014||Untitled Terrence Malick Project||Judy|
- The Broadway League. "Linda Emond | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- University of Washington Alumni, washington.edu; accessed April 17, 2014.
- Brantley, Ben. "Theater Review; A Dinner Becomes A Disaster, In Triplicate (Life x 3)", The New York Times, April 1, 2003
- 'Life x 3' Listing, IBDb, accessed March 24, 2011
- McKinley Jr., James C. Death of a Salesman production, artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com, August 12, 2011
- Brantley, Ben."Review: 'Nine Armenians'" The New York Times, November 13, 1996
- Marks, Peter. "Dangerous Liaisons, On Line or Otherwise" The New York Times, June 2, 1998
- Franklin, Nancy."Review:Afghan Tales" The New Yorker, January 28, 2002
- Listing for Homebody/Kabul, lortel.org (Internet off-Broadway database), accessed March 24, 2011
- "Obie Award, 2002" villagevoice.com, accessed March 25, 2011
- Lipton, Brian Scott. "Linda Emond remains a Homebody", theatermania.com, May 6, 2004
- Hetrick, Adam."The Winter's Tale, With Linda Emond and Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Opens in Central Park July 1", playbill.com, July 1, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam. "Public Theater Takes a Page From Tony Kushner's Intelligent Homosexual's Guide Beginning March 23", playbill.com, March 23, 2011
- The Secret Rapture (1990), steppenwolf.org, accessed March 24, 2011
- Simonson, Robert. "Linda Emond and Michelle Williams Wander The Cherry Orchard at Williamstown, Aug. 11-22" playbill.com, August 11, 2004
- Sommer, Elyse. "CurtainUp Review", July 18, 1998
- Turan, Kenneth.Review Los Angeles Times, August 7, 2009
- "Georgia O'Keeffe (Lifetime)". Lifetime Television.
-  pbs.org, accessed March 24, 2011
- Press Release for A Dog Named Christmas, thefutoncritic.com, October 13, 2009
- "Alumna Performs With Streep in Julie & Julia" calstate.fullerton.edu, September 15, 2009
- Scott, Aurelia C., Audiofile Magazine
- 'Audiobook Reader" audioeditions.com, accessed March 24, 2011