|Linda Carol Hsieh-Wilson|
|Institutions||California Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter G. Schultz|
Linda Carol Hsieh-Wilson is an American chemist. She is known for her work in chemical neurobiology and currently a professor of chemistry and behavioral sciences at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is also a former Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator at the California Institute of Technology and an adjunct professor of psychiatry
Hsieh-Wilson received her Bachelor's degree in chemistry at Yale University. After graduating, she completed her Ph.D. in 1996 at the University of California, Berkeley where she worked with Peter G. Schultz on antibody-based catalysis. She studied neuronal targeting protein spinophilin at the Rockefeller University with Nobel Laureate Paul Greengard until 2000. She then obtained an appointment at the Department of Chemistry at the California Institute of Technology in 2000 as an assistant professor and became an associate professor of chemistry and an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in 2005.
Hsieh-Wilson's research is at the interface between organic chemistry and neuroscience. She investigates how glycans affect the structure and function of proteins in the nervous system. Her laboratory has developed a chemoenzymatic method to tag proteins that have been appended with a dynamic form of glycosylation called O-GlcNAc. Her work with glycosaminoglycan microarrays has significantly understanding of specific sulfated glycosaminoglycans in neuronal communication, learning, and memory as well as advanced the field of chemical biology. She has demonstrated how fucosylation can modulate neurite growth and neuronal morphology.
- Yan Z, Hsieh-Wilson L, Feng J, Tomizawa K, Allen PB, Fienberg AA, Nairn AC, Greengard P (January 1999). "Protein phosphatase 1 modulation of neostriatal AMPA channels: regulation by DARPP-32 and spinophilin". Nature Neuroscience 2 (1): 13–7. doi:10.1038/4516. PMID 10195174.
- Khidekel N, Ficarro SB, Peters EC, Hsieh-Wilson LC (September 2004). "Exploring the O-GlcNAc proteome: direct identification of O-GlcNAc-modified proteins from the brain". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101 (36): 13132–7. doi:10.1073/pnas.0403471101. PMC 516536. PMID 15340146. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- Gama CI, Tully SE, Sotogaku N, Clark PM, Rawat M, Vaidehi N, Goddard WA, Nishi A, Hsieh-Wilson LC (September 2006). "Sulfation patterns of glycosaminoglycans encode molecular recognition and activity". Nature Chemical Biology 2 (9): 467–73. doi:10.1038/nchembio810. PMID 16878128.
Awards and honors
- Beckman Young Investigator Award (2000)
- Research Corporation Research Innovation Award (2000)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2003)
- Eli Lilly Award in Biological Chemistry (2006)
- Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award (2008)
- Hsieh-Wilson LC, Schultz PG, Stevens RC (May 1996). "Insights into antibody catalysis: structure of an oxygenation catalyst at 1.9-angstrom resolution". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 93 (11): 5363–7. PMC 39251. PMID 8643580. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- Hsieh-Wilson, Linda C.; Allen, Patrick B.; Watanabe, Takuo; Nairn, Angus C.; Greengard, Paul (1999). "Characterization of the neuronal targeting protein spinophilin and its interactions with protein phosphatase-1". Biochemistry 38 (14): 4365–4373. doi:10.1021/bi982900m. PMID 10194355.
- "HHMI Scientist Bio: Linda C. Hsieh-Wilson, Ph.D.". Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Linda C. Hsieh-Wilson, Professor of Chemistry and Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute". Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering - CALTECH. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "HHMI Scientist Abstract: Linda C. Hsieh-Wilson, Ph.D.". Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- Khidekel, Nelly; Ficarro, Scott B; Clark, Peter M; Bryan, Marian C; Swaney, Danielle L; Rexach, Jessica E; Sun, Yi E; Coon, Joshua J et al. (2007). "Probing the dynamics of O-GlcNAc glycosylation in the brain using quantitative proteomics". Nature Chemical Biology 3 (6): 339–348. doi:10.1038/nchembio881. PMID 17496889.
- Gama, Cristal I; Tully, Sarah E; Sotogaku, Naoki; Clark, Peter M; Rawat, Manish; Vaidehi, Nagarajan; Goddard, William A; Nishi, Akinori et al. (2006). "Sulfation patterns of glycosaminoglycans encode molecular recognition and activity". Nature Chemical Biology 2 (9): 467–473. doi:10.1038/nchembio810. PMID 16878128.
- "Sweet Memories of Synapsins?". Science's STKE 2006 (317): tw472–tw472. 2006. doi:10.1126/stke.3172006tw472.
- "Web of Science". 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Arthur C. Cope Scholar Awards". American Chemical Society. Retrieved 2011-07-16.