Linda Lee Alter
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (July 2014)|
|Linda Lee Alter|
|Education||Philadelphia College of Art|
Linda Lee Alter is an American visual artist who is primarily known as an art collector and philanthropist. In 2010 Alter donated nearly five hundred artworks by female artists to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Alter graduated from Olney High School in 1957. She studied at the Philadelphia College of Art. Alter began collecting art by women artists in the 1980s when she noticed that much of the art shown by museums were predominantly created by men. In 1993, she started the Leeway Foundation to support women artists, particularly artists in the Philadelphia area.
In 2010 Alter donated her collection of 500 art works by female artists to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. In 2012, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts exhibited Alter's collection in an exhibition entitled The Female Gaze: Women Artists Making Their World. Artists in this exhibition included Louise Bourgeois, Kiki Smith, Joan Brown, Viola Frey, Ana Mendieta, Christina Ramberg, Beatrice Wood, Alice Neel, Louise Nevelson, Gertrude Abercrombie, Edna Andrade, and Sue Coe, amongst many others.
- Lipton, Lauren (November 11, 2012). "Positively Philadelphia: Show Set For Groundbreaking Women’s Art Collection". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "PAFA debuts over 200 works by modern and contemporary female artists from the Linda Lee Alter Collection". Art Daily. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Heller, Nancy G. (November 11, 2012). "A lifetime of speaking through her artwork". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Salisbury, Stephan. "Phila art collector Linda Lee Alter gives 400 works to Pa. Academy of Fine Arts", Philly.com, Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "The Female Gaze: Women Artists Making Their World", Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Brewer, Don. "Linda Lee Alter, 2012 First Annual Bebe Benoliel Founder’s Award Honoree". Don Art News. Retrieved 1 February 2014.