Linda Vista Community Hospital
Santa Fe Coast Lines Hospital
Linda Vista Community Hospital
|Location||610-30 St. Louis Street, Los Angeles, California|
|Architectural style||Mission/Spanish Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||05001499|
|Added to NRHP||January 3, 2006|
|Designated LAHCM||January 3, 2006|
Linda Vista Community Hospital, originally called the Santa Fe Railroad Hospital and Santa Fe Coast Lines Hospital, is a former hospital at 610-30 South St. Louis Street in Los Angeles, California, United States, in the Boyle Heights neighborhood. The hospital was built for railroad employees and was one of four employee hospitals run by the railroad Santa Fe Employees Hospital Association. The property was purchased for $5,500 and the hospital was constructed at a cost of $147,000.
After its closure, the hospital became a popular filming location for horror-themed productions including films, TV shows, and music videos. It has also become the subject of several paranormal investigations.
The hospital opened to great fanfare in 1904 and even had its own Jersey cows, chickens, and a garden to provide patients with the freshest milk, butter, eggs, poultry and vegetables. This original Moorish-style hospital building designed by Charles Whittlesey, known as the Santa Fe Coast Lines Hospital, was razed and rebuilt in 1924 in the current Mission Revival Style structure. In 1989 it was renamed the Linda Vista Community Hospital.
Decline and closure
The Santa Fe Railroad sold the 150-bed hospital to a managed healthcare company in 1980. By the late 1970s, the railroad hospital association facilities were experiencing declining use, as more railroad workers began to use conventional medical-insurance policies. The area surrounding the hospital also became a less-affluent area and hospital funding was affected. According to a California Health Law News report, when Linda Vista tried to reduce operational expenses in response, the hospital was blamed for an increase in facility death rates. During that time, the hospital was regularly treating a fair number of gunshot wounds and stabbings from the local neighborhoods, which affected its mortality statistics. An increase in uninsured and under-insured patients forced the hospital to close its emergency services department in 1989. The quality of care at Linda Vista Community Hospital continued to decline as doctors moved to other hospitals. In 1991, the hospital ceased operations.
In the decades since its closure, it has become the center of several paranormal investigations; the most notable investigation was initiated by Ghost Adventures, where the crew stayed a full night in the hospital. Since that time, it has been used primarily as a filming location. In January 2006, the hospital was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2011, the 4.2-acre Linda Vista Hospital complex was purchased by AMCAL Multi-Housing Inc. The structures on the historic registry, the main hospital and former nurses dormitory, will be renovated into the "Linda Vista Senior Apartments", and provide a total of 97 apartments for fixed-income seniors plus a medical facility. Phase I, scheduled to begin in spring 2013, will be the conversion of the dormitory building into four studio and 18 one-bedroom apartments. The Senior complex is slated for completion in the Summer of 2015.
As a filming location
Notable works shot at Linda Vista include the following:
- To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
- In the Line of Fire (1992)
- Outbreak (1995)
- Suicide Kings (1997)
- End of Days (1999)
- Pearl Harbor (2001)
- BOO (2004), which was filmed entirely there
- Day of the Dead 2: Contagium (2005)
- Room 6 (2006)
- The Gene Generation (2007)
- Shadow Puppets (2007)
- From Prada to Nada (2011)
- "Small Apartments" (2011)
- Rift (2012)
- Killjoy Goes to Hell (2012)
- Reel Evil (2012)
- Insidious Chapter 2 (2013)
- Black Veil Brides:Legion Of The Black
- Children Of The Corn 666 Issac's Return
- Seance: The Summoning
- Television programs
- The pilot episode of ER
- Charm School with Ricki Lake
- An episode of VH1's The Surreal Life Season 3
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The television movie Perry Mason: The Case of the Lady in the Lake,1988
- The Discovery Channel's The Colony
- The Military Channel's Special Ops Mission
- ABC's FlashForward episode 18 - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
- As an investigation location for paranormal series:
- The Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures
- The Travel Channel's Ghost Stories
- An episode of Spike TVs 1000 Ways to Die - in the segment "Par-Gore"
- An episode of Spike TV's World's Worst Tenants
- Cartoon Network's The Othersiders
- An episode of The OCD Project
- Dexter: Season 1 Episode 4 (Let's Give the Boy a Hand)
- Face Off (season 2) - "Night Terrors"
- Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory (Season 5) - "Dyrdek Day"
- Charmed (Season 1) - "Dream Sorcerer"
- True Blood (Season 5) - (Let's Boot and Rally)
- Criminal Minds (Season 7) - "Heathridge Manor"
- NCIS: Los Angeles (Season 4) - "Drive"
- Bachelor Pad Episode 2, Season 2
- Music videos
- The Steve Aoki song "Singularity"
- The Duran Duran song "Falling Down"
- The Garbage song "Bleed Like Me"
- The Girlicious song "Maniac"
- The Used song "Blood on My Hands"
- The Avenged Sevenfold song "Nightmare"
- The In This Moment song "Adrenalize"
- The Royal Pirates song "Disappear"
- The Rise Against song "Hero of War"
- The Paramore song "Monster"
- The MellowHype song "64"
- The Bad Meets Evil song "Lighters"
- The We Are The In Crowd song "Rumor Mill"
- The Foo Fighters song "Best of You"
- The Hollywood Undead song "We Are"
- The Neon Trees song "Lessons in Love (All Day, All Night)"
- The Otep song "Apex Predator"
- The IN THIS MOMENT song "Adrenalize"
- The Falling In Reverse song "Im not a Vampire"
- The Lumineers song "Ho Hey"
- The Iris song "Assfist"
- The Fall Out Boy songs "Just One Yesterday and Where Did The Party Go"
- Combichrist song "Get your Body Beat" (2006) for The Gene Generation
- Dawn of Ashes - "Poisoning the steps of Babel" Feat Nero Bellum of Psyclon Nine 
- The web series Local Ghost Haunts
- The Interactive web series The Birthday Party by ChadMattandRob on YouTube
- BlackBoxTV - Episode 3: Final Exit (2010)
- BlackBoxTV - TRUE STORIES: Linda Vista Hospital
- CW's Ghostfacers: The Web Series (Hospital doubled as basement of Grand Showcase Theater)
- Janoskians: Haunted Hospital
- "The Groundskeeper" Heidi Druckler Dance Company, (2013)
- Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments on the East and Northeast Sides
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Los Angeles, California
- "Linda Vista Hospital Film Location Services"
- "Image of the original 1905 hospital"
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "AMCAL California Bond Application request, #11-159"
- "Boyle Heights’ haunted hospital to be turned into senior housing, Dec 22,2011"
- "Calif Health Law News - California’s Vanishing Community Hospital: An Endangered Institution"