Linden High School (New Jersey)
|Linden High School|
|121 West St. George Avenue
Linden, NJ 07036
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Linden Public Schools|
|NCES School ID||340861005556 |
|Vice Principals||Frank Bandinelli
|Faculty||113.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,798 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.79:1|
|Athletics conference||Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference|
Linden High School is a comprehensive community public high school located in Linden in Union County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Linden Public Schools. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1928.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,798 students and 113.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.79:1. There were 642 students (35.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 181 (10.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 326th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 284th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 299th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 293rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Linden High School Tigers now compete in the Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Prior to the 2010 realignment, the school had participated in the Watchung Conference, a high school sports association made up of public high schools covering Essex County, Hudson County and Union County.
Coached by Phil Colicchio, the boys basketball team won the 2006 North II, Group IV sectional championship with a 64-38 win over Plainfield High School. In 2007 the team won the Group IV NJSIAA State Championship, edging Passaic County Technical Institute 57-56 in the semifinals and defeating South Brunswick High School 63-54 for the title.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Antoinette Modrak, Principal
- Frank Bandinelli, Vice Principal
- Leanora Fleming, Vice Principal
- Richard Sullivan, Vice Principal
- Kevin Thurston, Vice Principal
- Tiffany Andrade (born 1985), Miss New Jersey 2008.
- John Charles (born 1944), former American football cornerback and safety who played eight seasons in the National Football League.
- Waliyy Dixon (born 1974), aka "Main Event" on the AND1 Mixtape Tour; one of the original players on the famous AND1–sponsored streetball tours.
- Stanton T. Friedman (born 1934), nuclear engineer who broke the story of the 1947 Roswell UFO Incident.
- Eddie Kasko (born 1932), a former infielder, manager, scout and front office executive in Major League Baseball.
- Vincent Obsitnik (born 1938), American diplomat of Slovak descent.
- Troy Stradford (born 1964),former professional American football running back who played for six seasons in the NFL.
- Craig Taylor (born 1966), former running back for three seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Muhammad Wilkerson (born 1989), defensive end for the New York Jets of the National Football League.
- John J. Fay, Jr. (1927–2003), history and economics teacher from member 1958 to 1978, who was elected to the New Jersey General Assembly and the New Jersey Senate.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Linden High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Linden High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed July 23, 2011.
- Linden High School, International Baccalaureate Organization. Accessed May 1, 2008.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 11, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed July 23, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 11, 2012.
- 2006 Boys Basketball - North II, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2007.
- 2007 Boys Basketball - Public Group Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 29, 2007.
- Administration, Linden High School. Accessed December 23, 2012.
- Helfand, Candice Leigh. "Dancing queen", The Star-Ledger, November 2, 2007. Accessed November 21, 2007. "Yesterday, she came back to her alma mater to teach current Linden High School dance majors the same steps she performed with the other Miss New Jersey-USA contestants in the Oct. 21 pageant, and to discuss her experiences."
- Markus, Robert. "Charles Smiles Now in Glory of Rose Bowl", Chicago Tribune, December 28, 1966. Accessed September 11, 2012. "There may be some who have waited longer for Purdue to get to the Rose Bowl, but none could be happier to be here at last than John Charles.... 'I probably got my scholarship at Purdue as a player, because I was an All-State and All-America on offense at Linden High in New Jersey.'"
- Linden Athletic Hall of Fame. Accessed January 30, 2009.
- Gibson, Lydialyle. "Science? Fiction? For 41 years Stanton Friedman, SB'55, SM'56, has traveled the world with a simple message: UFOs are real.", The University of Chicago Magazine, September / October 2011. Accessed October 27, 2011. "In 2001, decades after challenging his fifth-grade teacher on the motion of the solar system, Friedman returned to Linden for his 50th high school reunion."
- Sales, Bob. "'I'll Treat Sox Like Men'--Kasko", Boston Globe, October 3, 1969. Accessed July 23, 2011. "Born June 27, 1931 Linden N.J. Home Richmond Virginia Graduate of Linden High School"
- Caroom, Eliot. "U.S. ambassador returns to Linden", copy of article from The Star-Ledger, may 5, 2009. Accessed July 7, 2010.
- Thomsen, Ian. "HE'S IN A STATE OF ANTICIPATION; BC'S STRADFORD EYES A BIG YEAR", The Boston Globe, August 27, 1985. Accessed July 20, 2012. "He was a 5-foot-8-inch basketball player who could dunk two- handed, but [Troy Stradford] was mainly a 1,000-yard tailback each of his last two years at Linden High School."
- Craig Taylor player profile, database Football. Accessed August 27, 2007.
- Vrentas, Jenny. "Former Linden High star Muhammad Wilkerson likely to be first New Jerseyan selected in 2011 NFL Draft", The Star-Ledger, April 25, 2011. Accessed July 23, 2011. "Raised in Elizabeth and Linden, Wilkerson grew up a Giants fan until he became simply a fan of the game. The third of four children, he and his mother share a close connection, reinforced by their tradition of sending “hugs” in daily text messages."
- Martin, Douglas. "John J. Fay Jr., 76, Ombudsman For the Elderly of New Jersey", The New York Times, October 29, 2003. Accessed July 7, 2010.
- Linden High School
- Linden Public Schools
- Linden Public Schools's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Linden Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics