Presl ex M.R.Schomb. 1849
Lindsaeaseae is a pantropical family of ferns in the order Polypodiales. It contains about 200 species, some of which also extend into the more temperate regions of eastern Asia, New Zealand, and South America.
For more than a century, these ferns were considered part of the Davalliaceae. Then starting in the mid-twentieth century they began to be transferred to the Dennstaedtiaceae. Molecular data supported the separation of Lindsaeaseae into its own family, which was proposed in 1970. Lindsaeaseae is considered the most basal of the Polypodiales.
Characteristics include: Rhizomes short to long creeping; rhizomes with nonclathrate scales or uniserate hairs; blades 1-3 pinnate or more divided; veins usually free; sori marginal or submarginal; indusia open towards margin, sometimes attached at sides, or sori covered by the reflexed segment margin 
The genus Lonchitis has many morphological characteristics similar to Dennstaedtiaceae, but a few characteristics of the spore are similar to the lindsaeoid genera, and molecular data strongly places this genus in Lindsaeaseae
The following genera have been placed in Lindsaeaceae at some point. Those shown in bold have been retained by the reference authorities, and those indicated have been moved to other families. Genera are shown in the order of original publication. In this list, genus names prefixed with "(=)" are considered to be synonyms of the accepted genus name that precedes them.
- Lindsaea Dryand. ex Sm. 1793 – retained
- Odontosoria Fée 1852 – retained
- Tapeinidium (C.Presl) C. Chr. 1906 – retained
- Sphenomeris Maxon 1913 (nom. cons.) – retained
- Xyropteris K.U.Kramer 1958 – single species transferred from Tapeinidium
- Osmolindsaea (K.U.Kramer) Lehtonen & Christenh. 2010 – species transferred from Lindsaea
- Nesolindsaea Lehtonen & Christenh. 2010 – species transferred from Lindsaea
- Lindsaeaceae C. Presl ex M.R. Schomb. Tropicos.org. Missouri Botanical Garden. 01 Feb 2012
- Christenhusz et al. "A linear sequence of extant families and genera of lycophytes and ferns" Phytotaxa 19: 7-54. 18 Feb. 2011
- Lehtonen et al.: Phylogenetics and classification of the pantropical fern family Lindsaeaceae in the Botanical Journal of the Linnaen Society 2010
- Smith, A. R., K. M. Pryer, et al. (2006). "A classification for extant ferns." Taxon 55(3): 705-731
- Wolf, P. G. (1997). "Evaluation of atpB Nucleotide Sequences for Phylogenetic Studies of Ferns and Other Pteridophytes." American Journal of Botany 84(10): 1429-1440
|This fern-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|