|Member of Parliament
6 November 2008
|Preceded by||John MacDougall|
|Born||19 January 1949|
|Religion||Church of Scotland|
Lindsay Allan Roy, CBE, FRSA (born 19 January 1949) is a British Labour Party politician, who was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Glenrothes from 2008 until 2015, and is the former Rector of Inverkeithing High School and Kirkcaldy High School. He announced he would be standing down as an MP in 2015 after being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease
Roy was educated at the University of Edinburgh where he was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in 1970. He then trained as a teacher and became principal teacher of Modern Studies at Queen Anne High School Dunfermline in 1974. He was promoted to be Assistant Rector of Kirkcaldy High School in 1983, but left after three years to be Depute Rector of Glenwood High School in Glenrothes.
Starting in 1990, Roy became Rector of Inverkeithing High School. His work there was rewarded with the CBE in 2004. He served also as an Associate Assessor for HM Inspectorate of Education from 1996, and was appointed Chairman of the Curriculum and Student Affairs Committee of Carnegie College in 1997. Becoming active in The Headmaster's Association of Scotland, he was appointed as its President for the year 2004–05.
Following the victory at a by-election of the Scottish National Party in the parliamentary constituency of Glasgow East earlier that year, despite Fife not having a history of such spectacular landslide swings to the SNP in the past as in the West of Scotland, it had been expected that Labour would lose the by-election, however the Labour Party held the seat increasing their total vote slightly, although on a reduced majority.
Lindsay Roy is currently a member of the Scottish Affairs Select Committee.
General election 2010
In the 2010 election he polled 25,247 votes, 62.3% of the votes cast, an increase of 10.4%, easily securing re-election.
Notes and references
- "Roy, Lindsay Allan" in "Who's Who 2007", A & C Black.
- MacPhee, Catriona (27 January 2015). "Lindsay Roy MP confirms he has Parkinson's as condition deteriorates". STV. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 12 June 2004. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Gordon Brown's Headteacher is Labour Candidate for Glenrothes, Daily Telegraph, 2 September 2008
- Profile: Labour's Lindsay Roy, inthenews.co.uk, 7 November 2008
- Lindsay Roy MP, Glenrothes. TheyWorkForYou.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
- North East Fife and Glenrothes election results – Local Headlines. Fife Today. Retrieved on 2011-01-06.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Glenrothes