Line 6 (Naples Metro)
|Status||In service (partially)|
|Locale||Naples, Campania, Italy|
|Termini||24 November 2003
4 February 2007 (Mostra - Mergellina Section)
|Opening||January 11, 2007|
|Rolling stock||T 67|
|Line length||2.3 km (1.4 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
The actual Line 6 was originally projected as a rapid tramway line (Linea Tranviaria Rapida, LTR) with some underground parts. Works started at the end of the 1980s, with a plan to open the first section for the 1990 FIFA World Cup.
As the end station Mergellina couldn't be completed in time, the line wasn't opened and was left abandoned for many years.
In the 2000s it was decided to complete the Mergellina station and to open the section that had already been built, but as a light metro without any connection with the tram network. The section was opened on 4 February 2007, from Mostra to Mergellina with two intermediate stops at Lala and Augusto, and a frequancy of a train every 8 minutes. It is operated by Metronapoli.
As the existing section is really short, and already served by other parallel lines (Line 2 and Cumana), the line has been much less used since its opening. The service was suspended on 10 March 2011, and later re-opened only in the morning from Mondays to Fridays with a reduced frequency.
The line will be extended from the West of Naples to the city center at Municipio.
Preliminary work began in July 2006 on the way to Municipio, where work is already already under way on Line 1. In September 2007 Ansaldo STS was awarded a €426m contract for the 3.1 km section Mergellina - Municipio.
|Naples Metro Line 6|
|Mostra||2007||Interchange with Line 2 and Cumana railway|
|Mergellina||2007||Interchange with Line 2|
|Arco Mirelli||2015||Under construction|
|San Pasquale||2015||Under construction|
|Chiaia - Monte di Dio||2015||Under construction|
|Municipio||2014||Under construction, Interchange with Line 1|
Trains travel every 16 minutes, only in the mornings from Mondays to Saturdays.
Media related to Line 6 (Naples metro) at Wikimedia Commons
- "Napoli metro Line 6 opens". Railway Gazette International. 2007-03-01.
- Metropolitana 6 a Napoli. In: ″I Treni″ Nr. 291 (March 2007), p. 10.
- Napoli chiude prima. In: ″I Treni″ Nr. 336 (April 2011), p. 7.
- "Napoli awards €426m metro Line 6 contract". Railway Gazette International. 2007-10-04.
- Metronapoli - Frequenza corse linee metropolitane (pdf)
- Guido Mazzuolo: La linea tranviaria rapida a Napoli. Sintesi del progetto. In: ″Ingegneria Ferroviaria″, October 1984, p. 680–685.
- Riccardo Carugati: Tram rapido a Napoli. In: ″I Treni Oggi″, July-August 1990, p. 31–33.
- Marcello Cruciani, Roberto Zannotti: ″Mondiale″ un anno dopo - 2. In: ″I Treni Oggi″ Nr. 117 (July-August 1991), p. 27–28.