Line 9, Beijing Subway
|Daily ridership||623,700 (2014 Peak)|
|Operator(s)||Beijing Mass Transit Railway Operation Corp., Ltd|
|Line length||16.5 km (10.3 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||750V DC Third rail|
|Operating speed||80 km/h|
Line 9 of the Beijing Subway (Chinese: 北京地铁9号线; pinyin: běijīng dìtiě jiǔhào xiàn) is rapid transit line in western Beijing. The line runs 16.5 km from the National Library to Guogongzhuang in Fengtai District with nine stations. The line has 13 stations. Line 9's color is chartreuse.
In 1989, the State Council decided to build Beijing West Railway Station on the Beijing-Kowloon Railway. Subway planning had determined that Beijing West Railway Station shall be the interchange between Lines 7 and 9. However, no provision for an interchange station was added in the railway station's design. The railway station was completed in 1996. 15 years later Beijing West Station was rebuilt and expanded provisions were added to the basement of the station for Lines 7 and 9. In 2002, in preparation for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, it was proposed that the first section of Line 9 should be built between Baishiqiao to Beijing West Railway Station (today's National Library to Beijing West Railway Station section). The entire length the proposed line was 5.8 kilometers. However the line only started construction in April 2007, with a planned opening date of 2010 and the original northern section between Baishiqiao to Beijing West Station was further delayed until 2012, making an opening before the Olympics unlikely.
In December 31, 2011 the 11.1 km, 9 station southern section from Guogongzhuang to Beijing West Railway Station opened. At the time the line was only connected to the Fangshan Line, isolated from the rest of the Beijing Subway network. Passengers will have to transfer to shuttle buses that connect to the main subway network to continue their journey. That is why in 2011, the passenger volume of Line 9 is not large. In April 29 the Beijing subway daily ridership exceeded 8 million rides, with Line 9 contributing only 46,300 rides.
One year later in December 30, 2012 the original northern section from the Beijing West Railway Station to the National Library entered into operations. Finally connecting Line 9 and Fangshan to the rest of the subway network and making all major Beijing train stations accessible by subway. The underground connections for the transfer between Line 9 and Line 1 won't have been completed at the opening of the Line 9 extension. Final engineering work on the connecting passages is expected to be completed before the end of 2013, before which Line 9 will skip Military Museum Station. After that Line 9's passenger traffic began to grow rapidly. By of January 2013, the average daily passenger traffic is already three times higher than in December 2012, at 220,000 rides.
List of Stations
|Beijing West Railway Station||北京西站||Fengtai|
|Qilizhuang||七里庄||(to be opened)|
|Fengtai Science Park||丰台科技园|
- As of January 2, 2012, Line 9 was skipping the Fengtai Dondajie Station, which was finally opened on October 12, 2012.
Line 9 was originally proposed to be extended future north and west to Haidian Shanhou but has since been replaced with Line 16; currently planned to be extended to the north towards Collage Road (学院路), where it will interchange with Line 15. There is also a long term proposal for a southern extension towards Daxing.
- "2014年4月30日综合交通总体运行情况". 北京市交通信息中心 北京市交通运行监测调度中心. 2014-05-01. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- "北京西客站预埋工程" (doc). 北京城建设计研究总院. Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- ""五一"期间北京市万名地铁建设者坚守岗位". 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- "北京奥运交通规划新建8条地铁线". 2002-12-02. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "北京地铁9号线4月份已开工建设 沿线房价猛涨". 2007-11-18. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "北京地铁九号线本月开工 将建首条"水下通道"". 2007-04-04. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- 郭鲲 (2008-12-18). "北京4条地铁线路有望2012年通车". Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- Xu, Wei. "Beijing launches three new subway sections". China Daily. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- "9号线南段将于2011年年底开通试运营". 北京市交通委员会. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- 邓杭 (2011-03-30). "北京地铁9号线南段9月试运行 12月底开通运营". Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- 刘冕 (2011-12-08). "北京地铁9号线南段本月底将开通试运营". Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "北京地铁昨天全路网日客运量首破800万高达839.1万人次". 2012-04-29. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- (Chinese) "本市四条地铁新线暂定12月30日开通". 北京日报. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- (Chinese) "北京地铁公布最新线路全图" [Beijing Subway releases a map of the full Beijing subway network.]. 北青网.
- (Chinese) "北京地铁4新线周日开通 9号线军博不停车". 新京报. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "轨道新线逐步发挥优化均衡全线网客流结构作用". 北京市交通委员会. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "四条新线开通试运营后发挥作用明显". 北京市重大项目建设指挥部办公室. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- (Chinese) "9号线丰台东大街站将于明天（10月12日）正式启用". 北京地铁. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "北京地铁9号线有望北延 连接海淀北部与中心区". 2010-01-12. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- 邓杭 (2011-05-14). "北京地铁规划15号线一期多通两座车站". Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "大兴新城规划 2005-2020". 北京市规划委员会. Retrieved 2013-01-18.