Line S6 (Milan suburban railway service)
An S6 train at Milano Porta Venezia.
|System||Milan suburban railway service|
|Daily ridership||34,000 (2011)|
|Rolling stock||TAF / TSR|
|Line length||84 km (52 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||3,000 V DC|
Line S6, a cross-city route, heads initially in an easterly direction from Novara to Rho Fiera Milano. From there, it runs through the municipality of Milan, via the Milan Passante railway, to Milano Porta Vittoria, and finally in an easterly direction to Treviglio.
With the change of timetable on 15 June 2008, the line was extended from Milano Porta Vittoria to Milano Rogoredo, where there is interchange with regional trains and long-distance services to and from Genoa, Bologna and Mantua.
Coinciding with another timetable change on 13 December 2009, the Porta Vittoria to Rogoredo section was closed, but the southern end of the route was extended in that section's place, from Porta Vittoria to Pioltello-Limito (and during rush hour to Treviglio).
The stations on the S6 are as follows (stations with a coloured background are within the municipality of Milan):
|Novara||1854||Novara Nord 100 m/yds|
|Corbetta-Santo Stefano Ticino||1936|
|Pregnana Milanese||2009||Incomplete service.|
|Rho Fiera Milano||2008|
|Milano Porta Garibaldi||1963|
|Milano Porta Venezia||1997|
|Milano Porta Vittoria||2004|
|Vignate||Only during rush hour.|
|Melzo||1846||Only during rush hour.|
|Pozzuolo Martesana||2009||Only during rush hour.|
|Trecella||Only during rush hour.|
|Cassano d'Adda||1846||Only during rush hour.|
|Treviglio||1878||Only during rush hour.|
From 07:00 to 09:00, and from 17:00 to 20:00, S6 services cover the entire route between Novara and Treviglio. During the rest of the day, S6 trains are limited to Novara–Pioltello-Limito, except between 10:00 to 12:00, when the S6 operates only between Novara and Milano Certosa.
- History of rail transport in Italy
- List of Milan suburban railway stations
- Rail transport in Italy
- Transport in Milan
- Stagni, Giorgio. "Il sistema ferroviario: hardware e software". Stagniweb. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "S come Suburbano" [S for Suburban]. Direzione Generale Infrastrutture e Mobilità website. RegioneLombardia. Retrieved 15 November 2012. (Italian)
- "Linee" [Lines]. Direzione Generale Infrastrutture e Mobilità website. RegioneLombardia. Retrieved 15 November 2012. (Italian)
- Canale, Andrea (March 2005). "...finalmente Passante!" [...finally, Passante!]. I Treni (268): 18. (Italian)
- "Passante quasi finito" [Passante nearly finished]. I Treni (306): 5. July 2008. (Italian)
- "Linee S in crescita" [S lines growing]. I Treni (322): 8. January 2010. (Italian)
- "Linea S6 Novara - Milano Passante - Treviglio". Direzione Generale Infrastrutture e Mobilità website. RegioneLombardia. Retrieved 17 November 2012. (Italian)
- Ordine di Servizio n. 25 - 1936
- Impianti FS. In: ″I Treni″ Nr. 317 (July 2009), p. 6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Milan suburban railway service.|
- ATM – official site (English)
- Trenord – official site (Italian)
- Schematic of Line S6 – schematic depicting all stations on Line S6
This article is based upon a translation of the Italian language version as at November 2012.