Line of succession to the former Hessian throne
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2012)|
|Part of a series on|
|Orders of succession|
a Kingdom / Grand Duchy / Duchies.
The Electorate of Hesse was abolished in 1866 when it was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia, while the Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine came to an end in 1918 with its last Grand Duke, Ernest Ludwig. Like most former German realms of the Holy Roman Empire the succession in Hessian lands was semi-Salic, with the nearest female kinswoman of the last male inheriting the crown upon extinction of the dynasty in the male line. The current pretender to both Hessian thrones is Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse, who inherited his claim to Hesse and by Rhine following the death of Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine in 1968, and became head of the entire House of Hesse on the death of his father Prince Philipp of Hesse in 1980. Landgrave Donatus is the titular Grand Duke and Elector of Hesse. Prince Philipp, his younger brother, is the current heir to his great-grandfather Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse's claim to the throne of Finland.
- HRH Moritz, Hereditary Prince of Hesse (born 2007)
- HH Prince August of Hesse (born 2012)
- HH Prince Philipp of Hesse (born 1970)
- HH Prince Tito of Hesse (born 2008)
- HH Prince Karl Adolf of Hesse (born 1937)
- HH Prince Christoph of Hesse (born 1964)
- HH Prince Rainer of Hesse (born 1939)
Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld and Hesse-Philippsthal
The Landgraviate of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld was annexed by Prussia in 1866. The main branch of Hesse-Philippsthal was extinguished in 1925, thus making the Barchfeld branch the only surviving one of the Hesse-Philippsthal line.
- Head: HH Wilhelm, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (born 1933)
- HH Prince Wilhelm of Hesse (born 1963)
- HH Prince Wilhelm Ernst Constantin (born 2005)
- HH Prince Philipp August (born 2006)
- HH Prince Otto of Hesse (born 1965)
- HH Prince Max Ernst-Ludwig of Hesse (born 1999)
- HH Prince Moritz of Hesse (born 2007)
- HH Prince Hermann Ernst Ludwig Joachim Hans Georg Hugo Alexander Wilhelm of Hesse (born 1935)
- HH Prince Alexis Wilhelm Manfred of Hesse (born 1977)