Line of succession to the former Portuguese throne
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
|Part of a series on|
|Orders of succession|
a Kingdom / Grand Duchy / Duchies.
The Portuguese monarchy was abolished on the 5 October 1910, when King Manuel II was deposed following a republican revolution. The present head of the House of Braganza, the former ruling house, is Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, a position he has held since the death of his father, Duarte Nuno, in 1976. The succession law for the former Portuguese throne was male-preference cognatic primogeniture.
Rules of succession
The 1822, 1826 and 1838 constitutions, as well as the 1842 revival of the 1826 constitutional charter, confirmed cognatic primogeniture among the legitimate issue of the then-reigning monarch and in case of their extinction, among collateral descendants of the Braganza dynasty. That had been the customary succession in pre-constitutional Portugal.
The 1838 constitution was replaced in 1842 by reviving the 1826 Constitutional Charter of Portugal. Among other things, the 1826 charter stipulated that, should there be no eligible descendants of Maria II of Portugal, the crown would pass to a collateral heir.
Maria II has living legitimate descendants today.
Family of the current Miguelist claimant
The heirs to his claim, in order of succession, are:
- Prince Afonso de Santa Maria, Prince of Beira (b. 1996), son of above
- Infante Dinis, Duke of Porto (b. 1999), son of Duarte Pio de Bragança
- Infanta Maria Francisca (b. 1997), daughter of Duarte Pio de Bragança
- Infante Miguel, Duke of Viseu (b. 1946), son of Duarte Nuno de Bragança
- Infante Henrique, Duke of Coimbra (b. 1949), son of Duarte Nuno de Bragança
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. Le Petit Gotha. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery, Paris 2002, p. 738-742, 748-749, 756-759 (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
- Goutant de Saisseval, Guy (1982). La Legitimite Monarchique. Paris, France: Editions Christian. pp. 190–191. ISBN 2-86496-018-4.
- "A sucessão da Coroa segue a ordem regular de primogenitura, e representação entre os legítimos descendentes; preferindo sempre a linha anterior às posteriores; na mesma linha, o grau mais próximo ao mais remoto; no mesmo grau, o sexo masculino ao feminino; e no mesmo sexo, a pessoa mais velha à mais nova."