Linear genetic programming
||It has been suggested that Linear tree be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2012.|
- "Linear genetic programming" is unrelated to "linear programming".
Linear Genetic Programming (LGP) is a particular subset of genetic programming wherein computer programs in a population are represented as a sequence of instructions from imperative programming language or machine language. The graph-based data flow that results from a multiple usage of register contents and the existence of structurally noneffective code (introns) are two main differences from the more common tree-based genetic programming (TGP) variant. 
Examples of LGP programs
Because LGP programs are basically represented by a linear sequence of instructions, they are simpler to read and to operate on than their tree-based counterparts. For example, a simple program written in the LGP language Slash/A looks like a series of instructions separated by a slash:
input/ # gets an input from user and saves it to register F 0/ # sets register I = 0 save/ # saves content of F into data vector D[I] (i.e. D := F) input/ # gets another input, saves to F add/ # adds to F current data pointed to by I (i.e. F := F + D) output/. # outputs result from F
By representing such code in bytecode format, i.e. as an array of bytes each representing a different instruction, one can make mutation operations simply by changing an element of such an array.
- Brameier, M.: "On linear genetic programming", Dortmund, 2003
- W. Banzhaf, P. Nordin, R. Keller, F. Francone, "Genetic Programming – An Introduction. On the Automatic Evolution of Computer Programs and its Application", Morgan Kaufmann, Heidelberg/San Francisco, 1998
- Poli, R., Langdon, W. B., McPhee, N. F. (2008). A Field Guide to Genetic Programming. Lulu.com, freely available from the internet. ISBN 978-1-4092-0073-4.
- Slash/A A programming language and C++ library specifically designed for linear GP
- DigitalBiology.NET Vertical search engine for GA/GP resources
- Discipulus Genetic-Programming Software
|This artificial intelligence-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|